Relax, no int rise iminent.

Thommo,

As we have a current account deficit against the Yanks, won't our rising dollar be a good thing since our imports will be cheaper? Therefore more money in our system, therefore more chance of interest rate rise?

Glebe.

Glebe said:
Thommo,

As we have a current account deficit against the Yanks, won't our rising dollar be a good thing since our imports will be cheaper? Therefore more money in our system, therefore more chance of interest rate rise?

Glebe.
Yes 'n' no! We don't want our ex rate to rise, as it would if we increased int rates. The oil price will cool activity enough, methinks.

Howard's "economic miracle" only happened because the $A drifted around US$.50 for ages (ask Pitt St for details) Don't know about you but I didn't enjoy those ex rates. Personally, I'd be happy with parity :) :)

In the eyes of the world we are good at digging holes, and we have dug some big ones, so as the world price of metals and coal rise so does our dollar. How can the RBA compound that effect?

Just a mug mining speculator!!!!

I dont enjoy definitive comments - try to keep an open mind - life is never that simple...

No need for original thought on this stuff, hope this helps...

+ve's

Appreciation of the AUD => Decrease in the relative cost of M vs domestic G+S (SR) + Decreased DSR => Decreased CAD + Decreased value of foreign debt => Increased living stds + Decreased inflation

-ve's

Appreciation of the AUD => Increase in the relative cost of M vs domestic G+S + Increased K outflow (LR or assume perfect K mobility for SR outflows) => LR decrease in competitiveness + Decrease in foreign investment => Increased CAD + Increased structural unemployment (due to X restructures)

Usual economists disclaimers apply - the senior economist from BIS commented to the SMH that he doesnt remember any mistakes he has made (would need to clarify that - if someone has last Sat SMH that would be great)

XBenX said:
I dont enjoy definitive comments - try to keep an open mind - life is never that simple...

No need for original thought on this stuff, hope this helps...

+ve's

Appreciation of the AUD => Decrease in the relative cost of M vs domestic G+S (SR) + Decreased DSR => Decreased CAD + Decreased value of foreign debt => Increased living stds + Decreased inflation

-ve's

Appreciation of the AUD => Increase in the relative cost of M vs domestic G+S + Increased K outflow (LR or assume perfect K mobility for SR outflows) => LR decrease in competitiveness + Decrease in foreign investment => Increased CAD + Increased structural unemployment (due to X restructures)

Usual economists disclaimers apply - the senior economist from BIS commented to the SMH that he doesnt remember any mistakes he has made (would need to clarify that - if someone has last Sat SMH that would be great)

Sorry Ben, one of us has a drinking problem. :D

You can look forward to my posts next week - Ill be at a few boozy lunches...

I just read my post.

To translate;

X exports
M imports
G+S goods and services
SR short run
LR long run
CAD current account deficit
AUD australian dollar
stds standards
K Capital

The Pacific Peso is nudging 75c US. That and the oil price will make the bankers stop and think!

T
It's always good to look at the old posts in this site,when does everyone
think the aussie dollar will equal the US dollar in face value..willair..

That's really weird! :eek:

I was just this minute re-reading some old posts looking for when I predicted parity with the USD and that thread was one I found. When I saw it in "new posts" I thought I must have re-posted it.

That was nearly four years ago when others were predicting a fall to 55c. Pity that Acey has left us. pr1ckley so 'n so, but who am I to talk. :)

This is the search I did:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/search.php?searchid=994548

Dont' want to be a party pooper but...
*30 day bank bills at 7.50%
*one year swap rate rate at 7.95%.
*RBA cash rate at 7%.
The market has well and truly priced in further upward movement.

You can look forward to my posts next week - Ill be at a few boozy lunches...

I just read my post.

To translate;

X exports
M imports
G+S goods and services
SR short run
LR long run
CAD current account deficit
AUD australian dollar
stds standards
K Capital

Just gotta love some good jargon :D

Doesn't matter if the RBA moves next week or not (I think they will, BTW).

Irrespective, the Bank's will move interest rates to cover the increasing cost of funds (today's Fin has a reasonable summary of why). The additional moves that CBA and others made after the election were about half of what they needed as they hoped the world would right itself. It hasn't. In fact it's got worse.

My punt - RBA goes .25% and over the short term the lenders will add similar amount.

Back