Removing a solid concrete stair case to create useable space?!

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about removing the below staircase from my currently useless 2nd courtyard. The staircase is huge when you compare it to the whole courtyard and I'd love to make it a useable space. Maybe throw some decking down, put up a hammock and put the plants that cover walls up on lattice (just a quick idea)

Anyway what would be the best way of removing the stairs and what are some ideas of things that I can put in place of it? A ladder, smaller stairs?

Thanks very much!!!

Hi Lynchy

Where does the door currently lead to at the bottom of the stairs- a paved area of courtyard? If so, and that back wall can go then you'd have more options. If not, and you need to retain some type of access in that small space you're not really going to be left with much in the way of options. The trouble is that the risers have to be a certain height, to allow for the steps to be easily used. Make them too high and you'll end up with accidents as people misjudge the distance. A ramp won't work as the gradient looks too steep and a ladder would look very temporary- but it also depends on who uses it and how often! Stairs may look simple but I've been told otherwise by my two builder brothers :D
Best of luck with it all

Thanks for the reply Jacque!

The door leads to the lounge so unfortunately has to stay. The door at the top of the stairs leads to the middle of the complex and as such is hardly ever used. The townhouse fronts (or according to the complex design, backs) on to a quiet street with street parking as well as the driveway access coming from here, so I always use the back access. Feels much more like the front of the townhouse anyway!

I'm guessing I probably can't/shouldnt use a ladder? :D

i think i get what you are wanting to do - remove the steps leading and put down a deck in the courtyard space that comes straight out of the door, at door height. am i right?

if so - a sledgehammer, crowbar, leather gloves and a bit of sweat should do it. don't even need to take the entire steps out if you're going to deck over them - just enough to give you airflow clearance.

can reuse the bricks to make piers - or just leave them loose as rubble under the new deck.

then - hang hammock, take beer from fridge and enjoy.

i think i get what you are wanting to do - remove the steps leading and put down a deck in the courtyard space that comes straight out of the door, at door height. am i right?

if so - a sledgehammer, crowbar, leather gloves and a bit of sweat should do it. don't even need to take the entire steps out if you're going to deck over them - just enough to give you airflow clearance.

can reuse the bricks to make piers - or just leave them loose as rubble under the new deck.

then - hang hammock, take beer from fridge and enjoy.

Correct!!!

But how do I get up to the gate at the higher level?

Another idea which coud be possible is:

Remove the current stairs completely.
Drop the door which used to be at the top of the stairs down to the new ground level, or maybe just have 1 step.
Then make the new stairs on the otherside of the wall/door, if you know what I mean.
Would require a little structural work with the bearers and joists, but should be relatively easy.
As you said, that space through the door hardly gets used, so putting the stairs inside to get to the correct level will be more suitable in my opinion.

That is a great idea. I'm not the handiest of people going around though so I'm not sure the cost of getting someone in to do it would be worth it?

Back