Removing wall - does it add value?

Hi, I have a two bedroom apartment that I'm looking at doing some renos to. One thing I'm looking at is removing/opening up the wall seperating the kitchen from the living room to create more visual space.
Does an open plan living/kitchen add value to an apartment, and if so how much?
Does anyone know how much it would cost (if its a non load bearing wall)?
thanks!!

Hi,

If you have the option to, I would usually recommend removing a wall to create one larger space rather than having two smaller spaces. In particular a kitchen/living area since this is an increasingly popular house layout.

However, if you do decide to remove the wall; be aware of 'periphery' work that may be required (and may add a significant amount to your costs). Firstly your flooring - if you are replacing your flooring anyway, then no problem. If you are not planning at this stage on replacing the flooring, then once the wall is removed, you may be left with a big gap (which you may find hard to match to if you think you could just repair that small area).

The other things to consider are the kitchen cabinetry (replace the existing canitery with an 'island' unit?), power-points/light switches etc.. that are in the wall you want to remove. You might even need to install a new light in the ceiling (only a small cost but still need to consider).

Does the wall adjoin another wall? If yes, what is the finish on the other wall? Paint? Wallpaper? Whatever the finish, the whole of the adjoining wall will need to be re-painted or re-finished. Again if you're planning on painting that wall anyway then you will have no extra cost.

I think it is a great idea to remove your wall but just make sure you have all your pricing together before you start. Sometimes seemingly small jobs can turn into more of a monstor than you anticipated!

Hope that helps!!

Hi

The first thing I would do is to get a structural engineer to look at it. The wall may be integral/load bearing to the unit/building and may not be able to be removed. If it can, then what Jane said...:)

If it is a 2 bed unit with other units on top of it, it is most likely carrying load......and the BC may flat out refuse to let you take it out, either way.

On the chance they let you interfere, you may still have to replace it with a thick beam, which may compromise legal height clearance.

It would pay to get someone who will be able to confirm for you definitely though to have a look at the wall.

Removing a wall will add value to your property, because it will maximise space and light in that space. However, if it is a structural wall then it will require a permit, which any good builder/renovation company will include in their quote. And if they use a private surveyor rather then than the council one, you should be able to get your application through in 1-2 weeks rather than having to wait longer. The wall area will determine what kind of lintel will be required, but again this should all be inclusive in the quotes you get. If it is just a particion wall, than that is easy and inexpensive to remove.

The main things to keep in mind for additional costs are:
- Are there any light switches, power points, etc on that wall that will also need to be moved
- Is there any plumbing running through that wall
- Are you re-doing the floor covering in the kitchen area anyway, because once the wall is removed, you will need to cover that gap with something
- Are there any cupboards leaning against that wall that may get scratched or damaged by removing that wall

You also need to double check what the company quoting you is including in their quote. I'll give you a quick example of what kinds of things we include in similar quotes:
- applications for permits and organising final inspections
- materials and labour for removing the existing wall
- moving any electrical or plumbing from that existing wall.
- supply and install of the lintel
- rubbish removal
- plastering any areas that need to be fixed where wall was removed
- painting any sections that need to be fixed up where wall was removed
- replacing/fixing floor covering depending on client requirements

Hopefully that gives you a much better idea.

Wishing you every success,
Ana Stankovic

What do you think we're talking about here "mystery"? We're talking about knocking down a wall. In the case that the appropriate authorities do allow for a wall to be knocked down, I wanted to get a price range (rough idea) on how much it would cost to knock down a wall. No, i'm not related to Xtreme_air, but I might be related to you ;)

Back