Renovation Advice - Remove Wall?

Currently renovating my PPOR which will then be turned into rental within the next 2 years. After some advice/thoughts on opening up a previously arched opening.

Opening leads from the lounge to the dining/kitchen area. I have already removed the arch which opens the place up significantly.

I have the option to open things up further by propping the ceiling, running a larger lintel through to create an opening of approx 2800mm. This however will involve adding a new stump under the new load bearing stud etc.

Costs involved will be around the $2-3k mark and I'm wondering if its a worthwhile improvement or just leave the current opening as is then re-plaster.

I'm assuming the change wouldn't effect rental return but I can imagine it could potentially improve re-sale value or future bank vals?..

Attachments

• IMG_2766.JPG
    IMG_2766.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2838.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    512.9 KB · Views: 122
Not for 2-3k! That's a lot, like you said it will only affect resale price.

Does it need an extra stump, is there away around all that?? take the lintel/beam out wider some how. Or timbers underneath going from stump to stump as a beam?

I wouldn't bother for that much $$. I think in the strive for all things open people tend to forget that walls are handy for putting furniture against.

You've removed the outdated arch so I wouldn't bother opening up any extra. It's still a wide opening which seems to lend itself to the open plan feel too going off the pictures.

I agree with Kinnon. I wouldn't do it. I like open plan, but also like a notional barrier between rooms with different functions.
That's a nice wide doorway as it is.

I reckon we just saved you $3,000 and some time. Onto the next task.

I agree with Kinnon. I wouldn't do it. I like open plan, but also like a notional barrier between rooms with different functions.
That's a nice wide doorway as it is.

I reckon we just saved you $3,000 and some time. Onto the next task.

Thanks guys,

I agree with all of the above. The only thing leading my to over-think it all was the fact that most people who have looked through the house have asked "So are you removing this wall?".. I'm assuming this is bought to their attention as it looks half removed in its current state after ripping the wall heater and arch out.

I think I will leave as is.

Now to move onto the bathrooms.... :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2961.JPG
    IMG_2961.JPG
    506.3 KB · Views: 79
Looks like you're going for the open plan feel in your bathroom too! :D

Ha! that photo is actually looking into 2 of my "bathrooms"! I will be kissing that $3k goodbye well before it even resembles a bathroom! Well, hopefully not but we will see..

First time renovating and only just realizing all of the little costs that I didn't initially budget for really drain the bank account. Good times!

How about you widen a little so you can keep some of the wall to support it and possibly not need another post?

Attachments

• IMG_2838.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    468.2 KB · Views: 86
How about you widen a little so you can keep some of the wall to support it and possibly not need another post?

Thanks Tim, after seeing that picture I really don't want to keep as is.. :mad: Really does open the place up and still leaves enough room so that a couch does would not overhang etc.

I have a carpenter mate that is coming to have a look this afternoon so will see what he thinks.

Hopefully an option to leave the small section of wall without having to do new stump.

I've had a thought this morning and going to look into a timber shutter for this wall rather than remove it. I will need to put in a couple of new studs and create a reveal then fit a white shutter unit (I'm thinking approx. 1800 x 600mm).. couple of used shutters on eBay which might work ok and cheap too!

What are people thoughts on internal wall shutters as a feature?

Haven't used them but they do look good

Have you thought about getting a plasterer around and cutting in some vertical slots, then they can work around the timbers there rather than putting extras in.

Get some other quotes

If it's not a weight bearing wall it could cost a lot less

I had something similar done for $900. One builder quoted $6k

Currently renovating my PPOR which will then be turned into rental within the next 2 years. After some advice/thoughts on opening up a previously arched opening.

Opening leads from the lounge to the dining/kitchen area. I have already removed the arch which opens the place up significantly.

I have the option to open things up further by propping the ceiling, running a larger lintel through to create an opening of approx 2800mm. This however will involve adding a new stump under the new load bearing stud etc.

Costs involved will be around the $2-3k mark and I'm wondering if its a worthwhile improvement or just leave the current opening as is then re-plaster.

I'm assuming the change wouldn't effect rental return but I can imagine it could potentially improve re-sale value or future bank vals?..
Most preferred not to open up, I suppose I am different, if I start the job I wish to do it only once, I would have opened it up...but anyway good luck progressing further, good job!
I did opening between a kitchen and dining and it was really worth it, including the beam, but as I said I like to do the job once, so I pay more upfront I suppose....it does depend on your budget too, right?

Back