Render or Gyprock?

I would like to know how much it cost to render the inside of a unit I am looking to buy. It is made of bricks and has the ugly brick pattern on the inside and I want to know if it is cheaper to A. Render it or B. Install sheets of gyprock (which one will increase value?)

Render cost ~$55-65 per sqm in my experience. Recently plasterboarded over bare brick recently but don't have per sqm meter cost.

Would have thought plasterboard finish is a better, cleaner look, and more flexible in the future (ie paint and change colours). Just make sure you get any electrical work that is likely to be done before hand. (Obvious point I know)

What is the style of the property?

Plaster board is a cheaper option and you get a better quality finish for indoors.
When the light is just in the wrong spot you can get a fright from render finishes inside.

im currently putting plasterboard over the render inside my place.

render is a pain in the back side, when you patch up a crack is never blends in lol

im currently putting plasterboard over the render inside my place.

render is a pain in the back side, when you patch up a crack is never blends in lol
When you patch pasterboard it never blends in .... half the problem is you did the patching so you know where the hole was and keep seeing it.

Most other people don't even notice it.

Cheers
quoll

You might consider bagging the brick work. Much cheaper than render. Possibly a touch more expensive than plaster, but might be easier.

bagging is a mission to paint and patch though.

dry lining - gyprock - is SO much easier over face brick.

i have used it myself and i highly recommend it purely for the finish.

the problem with render n baging is that we you patch a crack its hard to get the same finish as the rest of the wall, with plasterboard (gyprock is actually a brand, see i learnt somthing at tafe) you can get the same finish with half the effort

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies, when I first read plasterboard I thought it was a new type, didn't realise Gyrpcok is a brand of plasterboard. I went to Bunnings & they recommended Rendering with a type of paint that also does it. 2nd time I went (3 month settlement so plenty of time to bounce ideas) they recommended plasterboard. Since I wanted that smooth surface I will stick with Plasterboard.

Now the ceiling has a very bumpy ugly texture as well - any ideas on how to remove? :D

Sorry 1st time buyer & renovator!

u can make a suspended ceiling, this is suspending plasterboard from the roof.
If your roof is high enough it will look quite normal (mine are 2600 high). if your roof is only 2400 it might not comply to Australian standards to make the roof any lower.

I have been buying 2400 x 2700 sheets of plaster board from bunnings at 12.30 a sheet.
If your walls are currently double brick (un rendered) i would fix battens to them before the plasterboard and then screw the plaster board to battens.
This will be a total loss of 35-40mm on each wall once finished.

u can make a suspended ceiling, this is suspending plasterboard from the roof.
If your roof is high enough it will look quite normal (mine are 2600 high). if your roof is only 2400 it might not comply to Australian standards to make the roof any lower.

I have been buying 2400 x 2700 sheets of plaster board from bunnings at 12.30 a sheet.
If your walls are currently double brick (un rendered) i would fix battens to them before the plasterboard and then screw the plaster board to battens.
This will be a total loss of 35-40mm on each wall once finished.

Hi all

I my plasterer has just finished gyprocing some walls in my apartment, the walls were painted brick. He mixed up some bondcoat and painted it on, let it dry, then glued the gyproc straight to the wall. I had these flat type of cornices so he just butted up to them and smoothed out the joints.

If you have the usual type of cornice, I would suggest removing then and putting up new ones after the gyprock is in place.

I will be posting some more photo's in the next couple of days if you wish to take a look.

my walls are rendered and painted so were currently scoring the walls so we have good points to bond the plasterboard, i removed all my cornice to :) still decided weather to square set, p50, bead or new cornice.

Hi Perchy

As a cheaper alternative, have you considered simply repainting the brick walls? I did this on an IP and it really made a huge difference to the amount of "lightness" in the place, as brown internal bricks can appear gloomy and uninviting, even with loads of sunlight streaming in. Take a look at the before and after pics below- definitely the cheapest option if you don't want to spend a lot but want a fresher look.
Even without the new kitchen refit it still makes a difference.
Sawtell reno008.jpg After

Sawtell Unit 2 007.jpg Before

Thanks all. I didn't want to just repaint the walls as I like that flat look so I'm willing to pay a bit more that

Thanks for the idea of covering the ceiling - I think mine's low.

Pics would be great. Jacque's yours does look like a great kitchen :)

Jacque.. I got similar bench top in the before picture - did you completely replace or did a refinish? mind sharing approximate costs of the kitchen renovation?

Jacque.. I got similar bench top in the before picture - did you completely replace or did a refinish? mind sharing approximate costs of the kitchen renovation?

Hi Perchy

Very 80's those benchtops aren't they?!
I completely replaced the kitchen but retained stove only at an approx cost of $5K. This included cabinets, new tapware and sink and retiling. Very happy with job, and including the entire unit repaint and bathroom refurb managed to keep the total job under $9K. Return on investment wasn't great @ approx 20% but it needed doing and this IP was more a less an emotional investment at the time.

Suspended ceilings are the way to go to cover over ugly vermiculite, though you can get them repainted as well.

Back