reno advice

Couple of questions - for wardrobe space in IP would you have wardrobes built by a cabinetmaker or buy from say ikea and have them installed?

Second - how much of a drama is it to replace a kitchen worktop - would you go to a kitchen company or use a tradie? Wold you need a plumber as well to disconnect/reconnect and seal sink?

Any advice would be helpful

for wardrobe space in IP would you have wardrobes built by a cabinetmaker or buy from say ikea and have them installed?
Many options but I'm hopeless at this stuff myself - so I use a wardrobe company like Affordable Wardrobes. They come quote, measure & install - too easy. 1800mm long x 600mm deep x up to ceiling height used to cost me $750 I think. (or $900 can't remember)

Second - how much of a drama is it to replace a kitchen worktop - would you go to a kitchen company or use a tradie?
Use a kitchen company to manufacture and their tradie to install. But some ppl re-laminate themselves to save costs.

Wold you need a plumber as well to disconnect/reconnect and seal sink?
Yep.

Cheers,
Aimy

Couple of questions - for wardrobe space in IP would you have wardrobes built by a cabinetmaker or buy from say ikea and have them installed?

We have used wardrobe people for our regional renos. In Qld I would get them from Ikea or Amart.

Second - how much of a drama is it to replace a kitchen worktop - would you go to a kitchen company or use a tradie? Wold you need a plumber as well to disconnect/reconnect and seal sink?

Any advice would be helpful

Depends on how hard the job was. If it is just a straight piece with no joins - easy to get from Ikea or similar and put on, but if a bit trickier and a few cuts and joins then I would use a cabinet maker/kitchen company or even check out one of those flat pack kitchen places.

As for needing a plumber - you would probably need one, but doesn't mean you have to use one. Depends on your level of skill. I guess if you are asking the question though, it would be a yes.

Sunshine

Coolie, maybe best to employ a lic/plumber if you are unsure what to
otherwise the setup will just leak and ruin all the internal space..
With the bench tops, depends on the layout if its just a standard
layout then you should be able to buy them anywhere,but you will need a
plumber first to disconnect the sink,unscrew the bench -top,reinstall the
bench,then reset the sink-plumbing-dishwasher..willair..

Hi Coolie,

I guess it depends on what you want to spend. For wardrobes - we actually used the "pantries" from Bunnings - I think they were $89? We used the door as the top shelp across the wardrobe, and the shelves for wardrobe shelves - looked great - and cheap!! Installed ourselves - and even I was able to do this!

For kitchen bench - you can do this all yourself, you can buy and install the benchtop yourself and get some one to organise the plumbing, or you can get everything done for you - what do you want to spend? We bought and installed the benchtop - plumber hooked up sink and dishwasher, that was about it - and he was doing a bunch of other jobs for us at the time so that was very small.

You pay alot for tradies - so if you're handy, you can do it yourself - measure benchtop correctly (now that's the real trick!! ;) :rolleyes: :eek: ), and it's not that hard to install, you will probably need to cut a bit off here or there - but it all gets covered with tiles.

If you want to save time - get it all done for you! :D

Cheers,
Jen

Great tips thanks! Clearly a variety of options. Loved the Bunnings idea.
I guess the trick is to spend wisely whatever you do, and if that means paying a professional then that is what you do. The other trick would be to group all the trade jobs together for efficiency - now that might be a challenge!

Back