Reno - Havago!

I've always been in awe of people like Chrispy et al, who are so adept at doing their own renos. So...I've had a go...got out the Ryobi and after a trip to Bunnings...I made these bookshelves.

I've realised that taking the plunge in getting "one's hands on the tools" is a giant leap of faith for those of us who have no learning or experience with building "stuff". The risk is that "it will all fall down".

Still, it was worth the risk, and is still attached to the wall after 3 days, so I'm rather optimistic about it's future stability. And it was easy as, to put up. So easy infact, that I've measured up for the next one.

To all of you who are yet to "take the plunge"...swallow your fear and havago.

Attachments

• Study book shelfa.jpg
    Study book shelfa.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 167
Damn, I need some shelves like that. But every time we try and stick something to the wall where *we* want it, we end up drilling 42 holes until we hit stone on the 43rd :mad:

*shakes fist at people with brick or stud walls*

Sailor

Well done - they look great. Looking forward to the photos of your next project...a boat maybe??? :D

Chris
Thanks Chrispy.
Yeah...sure!:p I think I'll leave the boat building to The Toyboy. :)
Next project is a bar for all the alcohol I use in making cocktails for the girlfriends!:D

Damn, I need some shelves like that. But every time we try and stick something to the wall where *we* want it, we end up drilling 42 holes until we hit stone on the 43rd :mad:

*shakes fist at people with brick or stud walls*

get a good stud finder, i got one as a present it detects the depth standard part of the wall automatically of the wall so it works on things like tiled walls (10mm tile + glue + cement sheet), walls with insulation, etc... Also warns of things like Active AC wires and indicates when its on an edge, mine a black and decca from bunnings i think it was less than $100. Has a built in laser level also which makes life easier when you just need to quickly line up pictures or similar across a long wall.

get a good stud finder, i got one as a present it detects the depth standard part of the wall automatically of the wall so it works on things like tiled walls (10mm tile + glue + cement sheet), walls with insulation, etc...
Does it work on walls that are made of rocks with dirt for mortar? The density of the two would have to be similarish, but you can only sink a dowel or dynabolt into the rocks or they just pull right out. The 'mortar' can be extremely wide between rocks that haven't been hewn square.

You've inspired me Sailor. Today I bought 2 built in robe packs from Bunnings. After we finish our Pizza we're going to drag the kids over to the IP have a go at installing one tonight.

Lou.

:D It worked out really well. We bought 'rubbermaid' brand wardrobe in a box, powdercoated steel bits'n'pieces. We put up 2, one per night. Easy so long as you read the instructions :eek:. What I am sad about today is that the electricians discovered that a number of their power points don't work so now they have cut a big hole in the wardrobe ceiling??? which will have to be patched, plastered and repainted. Makes me really mad, especially right at the end when things were finally cleaned up and finished. Tomorrow they are pulling weatherboards off our nice newly painted house looking for some wire.:mad:

I'll post a pic soon and some others of our finished reno. Perhaps I better make a thread about it. I've been getting around to it for over a year now but never know where to begin, so why not start at the end!

Lou

Back