Reno Project- Add on No Council Approval

Hi all,

Negotiating a deal for private sale, reno project to keep in portfolio as a long term hold. 3x1 on big block however stumbling point is the rear add on, a space approx 12x8m which is the living room, the old living room has been bricked in and gyprocked to form a 4th bedroom.

This added on space doesnt have council approval and it looks like it has been done pretty rough, to convert back to old floor plan would cost a fortune to do. However not keen on moving forward unless approval can be obtained.

Spoke with council today regarding process and costs $400 to put paperwork through for add on to be included onto floorplan on the premise a builder comes out and tick its off as being safe and built to industry standard, etc. So its not a sure thing- anyone had dealings with local council on getting these things through and any suggestions or things I should be aware of.

Council is Rockingham WA.

Apologies on the novel!

Why don't you ask the seller to officially add the extension to the floor plan? Now that the council knows about the unapproved extension (thanks to you :) ), it is in the best interest of the seller to comply.

Having said that, I see a lot of houses in Sydney that been extended and sold/being sold without council approval for the extension and people still buy. I guess most buyer thinks what council doesn't know council won't pursue.

Hi all,

Negotiating a deal for private sale, reno project to keep in portfolio as a long term hold. 3x1 on big block however stumbling point is the rear add on, a space approx 12x8m which is the living room, the old living room has been bricked in and gyprocked to form a 4th bedroom.

This added on space doesnt have council approval and it looks like it has been done pretty rough, to convert back to old floor plan would cost a fortune to do. However not keen on moving forward unless approval can be obtained.

Spoke with council today regarding process and costs $400 to put paperwork through for add on to be included onto floorplan on the premise a builder comes out and tick its off as being safe and built to industry standard, etc. So its not a sure thing- anyone had dealings with local council on getting these things through and any suggestions or things I should be aware of.

Council is Rockingham WA.

Apologies on the novel!

Back