Renos and traps

Bit more info

I called QBSA to get some further details as I couldn't find a definition in the policy section of their website for what "building works" entails. Funnily enough the lady didn't think that definition was published on their site.. how convenient.

To me this whole thing is a joke and I will be writing to my local member to let him know as much. Certainly for structural work a licsened builder should be used however under the current legistlation painting is included - insane how many home owners paint their own house (now illegally) as is and wait for it "project management". As it was explained to me if I am organising tradies to arrive at certain times as part of a schedule then that also needs to be build into my costings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They also tried to tell me sanding my floor was part of building works however they seemed to relent when I pointed out that they don't license the floor sanding profession.

This is regulation gone mad and I believe with the current shortage of tradies and low affordability of homes now is a good time to hit your local member to ask for BS like painting and project management to be excluded from the $11000 threshold

To bring out the skeptic in me completely when I called and said I was an owner builder all they wanted to talk about was how I needed a certificate, I had to interrupt several times to explain that the work I was doing was under $11K and I was looking for further information as to what work they consider building works.

This has me fired up AAHHHHHH

Cheers,
McDeyess

Is it possible to change the title of this thread?

I am suprised more people are not concerned about this and the title isn't very descriptive of this issue.

Suggested title "You are probably renovating illegally and don't know it"

Cheers,
McDeyess

Is it possible to change the title of this thread?

I am suprised more people are not concerned about this and the title isn't very descriptive of this issue.

Suggested title "You are probably renovating illegally and don't know it"

Cheers,
McDeyess

Great idea, I agree!

If this thread is not getting much action it is because I suspect most ss forumites would rather ignore this post - if my own gut reaction is anything to go by. When I saw it my left eyebrow went up, then up some more, then I thought "I dont want to know about this, I am going to ignore it and hope it goes away"
Curiosity gets the better of me and I keep looking at it for updates tho:eek:

It would be good to note what IS ALLOWED. I know this is different state by state so perhaps it should be broken up into different threads.

I am considering buying a new PPOR in WA which will need a lot of work. I am not up to speed with what is and is not allowable, what works will need an owner/builder registration, etc., etc so I have started a new thread for WA here...

WA - http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=350601#post350601

Any takers for the other States?

TB

Handyman

So waht if u hire a handy handyman to get work done, like build a retaining wall and do a driveway? Are handymen considered 2nd class even though some do a really great job?
Thx,
JB

this should interest you all, if I can attach it.

Bathroom and kitchen renovation.
HIA has sought clarification from the Building Commission on requirements for
permits for kitchen and bathroom renovations. A permit will not be required for these
works if there is no structural alteration, the work will not adversely affect the
structural soundness of the building, does not increase or decrease the floor area or
height of the building and is done for renewal purposes using materials commonly
used for the same purpose as those being replaced.
The work must also not adversely affect a safety measure.
Also the work cannot be carried out on, or in the connection with, a building included
on the Heritage Register established under the Heritage Act 1995, this building work
may require approval from the Executive Director under the Heritage Act 1995 or of
the National Trust of Australia (Victoria).
For more information on work that is exempt from building and occupancy permits
see Schedule 8 of the Building Regulations 2006.The regulations are available from
www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au or contact HIA technical on 1300 650 620 for assistance.

Just reading the above document, does this mean that it doesnt matter how much a kitchen or bathroom reno costs as long as you dont alter the structure of the building, floor area or height of the ceiling you dont need a permit....?

I wish I hadn't stumbled across this thread, it'll keep awake at night.

I know with the stuff I've done over the years (which is a lot) I would have not made any $$$ if I had to contract everything out.
I'll just continue to do what I do and keep my head low I think. As my Dad used to say.....don't tell them anything, let them find out.

Interesting thread, thanks

Illegal building work

Most renovators are operating outside the law. This has been discussed recently on another forum:

http://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/value-adding/4322716

And the idea to have multiple contractors doesn't negate the responsibilities - if you hire a plumber and an electrician and a cabinetmaker etc, they add up all the work that all of them are doing, as you're project managing it, and it's the value of work being MANAGED that's the crucial point.

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm saying that's how it IS!

restricting renovation by owner

I found this old thread via another site this morning and wondered if any of the current forumites would like to add to it. I must say that the information in this thread horrified me as I had no idea things had tightened up so much. Obviously most people ignore the issue as reno sites and gurus continue to flourish.
What's everyones take on this situation and has it changed or got worse since this thread was last posted on?

I suspect that the original poster was a plant from the QBSA.

His joining date coincides with the first post and he hasn't been back since March 08.

Never reported back what actually happened with the QBSA although he had been 'stopped' from doing further work, which in itself would be very serious or serious enough to continue discussing it on the forum.

Cheers

Thanks for that. Obviously no one is propably worried about renovating so I'll just plough on with my rural reno and not worry about it....like someone alluded to on this post, they have to catch you first.

I always thought that to change light globe is no big deal.

Was told that in NSW it has to be done by licensed electrician.

Always took it as kind of a joke, not so sure now!

I always thought that to change light globe is no big deal.

Was told that in NSW it has to be done by licensed electrician.

Always took it as kind of a joke, not so sure now!

Speaking of jokes and lightbulbs ...

Do you know how many psychiatrists it takes to change a lightbulb?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>