Renovation pictures

Hello
I have accidently put my before and after photos under the general user photo gallery, so they do not come up under adding value.
Michael Croft mentioned a while back about nailing fibre cement to brown brick, I thought it sounded such a good idea, I thought I'd give it a go, it has turned out pretty well (very last 2 photos), although it is pretty difficult getting a 1.2 m by 3 m sheet of fibre cement nailed to a brick wall 15 feet in the air on your own.

All of the decks have had all the old timber re-used, the only additions have been the turned posts, and the top and bottom rails.

I lost my job in late August ( never tell your boss he's a peanut no matter how true it is), so decided to renovate full time, I actually wake up in the morning now looking forward to the day, and while I dread the bills coming in, that will change when I complete and sell the house.

Sometimes when there is a lack of money, and you have to make do with what you have, creativity comes very much into play, and I think the results are sometimes better.
I have an old timber pile the old owners left behind that I never looked at twice, now (after a quick termite inspection) its the main source of my material, and I think aged timber looks better than brand new stuff anyway.

Hi Adrana,

good photos & looks like u have done an excellent job... well done & hope u get rewarded upon sale (or re-valuation)...

Cheers,

MannyB.

What a great job adaran01.........congratulations and well done! :)

I've moved your photos into the appropriate areas, they are of course still in your personal member gallery as well. Please keep us updated with more of your reno photos please. Its a great way for everyone to get a feel for what others are doing! Thanks.

Ruby :)

Adaran,

Good luck with the reno - the pics look great & I hope it all works out for you....if so, send your former boss a packet of peanuts with your thanks ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hello
Thanks Ruby for re-organising the pics in a meaningfull arrangement.
I will post more photos soon, including the 1.5 metre brown snake that likes to sun itself right in front of the kitchen door.
I have seen 5 different snakes in the last 2 weeks, 3 browns and 2 whip snakes, the biggest (brown snake) was about 1.5 metres and nearly as thick as my wrist (big black and ugly), and I came very close to stepping on it.
I had a look on the internet about how poisonous the brown is, I did not like what I read, and have become very nervous, to the point of screaming like a girl at some suspicious looking tree branches.
Some of the products I have used on the rennovation that are worth a mention.

Decking oil - Feast Watson . I have found this to be ideal for renewing old worn out timber, I will upload a picture of Deck number 2 with the treated and untreated wood next to each other, it is very impressive.
Unfortunately you cant just slap it on, especially if the timber is very old, I did the following.
A) put timber rail through thicknesser.
B) Sand using coarse, medium, then fine sandpaper.
c) first coat, second coat then thrid coat of oil.
the rail is now finished.
I must say that it was a nice surprice to see the previous owners had painted over Jarrah deckboards with mission brown paint.
Cost of 4 litre tin @$70 will do a deck about 4 m by 4 m.

Envirotex varnish 2 pack
If you look at the top of my bathroom cabinet, you will see a varnish that has a flawless mirror finish. You may have mistakenly thought I am a wood varnishing guru, however this is not true, Envirotex gives this finish in one application, it is a very hard finish, does not yellow, and makes the wood look stunning.
Regards Adam

Back