Rent goes up, repairs refused

Just curious what others think. I've been in the same place for 4 years. When I moved in, one kitchen door didn't totally close (under the sink) which I could live with. The kitchen is decrepit, 40 years old, chipped chipboard inside.
Since I moved in, the door knobs & hinges have gone on all doors.
Now I have a moth breeding issue though the real estate believes that's my fault and nothing to do with the kitchen doors not closing.
My rent just went up $20 to $320 (I live in a studio). I tried negotiating as I think it's overpriced considering the condition yet I'm told the rent stands and the owner doesn't wasn't to do anything about the cupboards.
It's also interesting that the current agent hasn't even seen the place as the only two that have have left.

Do landlords not need to fix things that go wrong with places?

There are essentials services and non essential services.

Hot water broken. Yes.
Cupboard doors. No.

You have good and bad tenants. You have good and bad landlords. Sadly sometimes the best solution is to move onto another place.

The landlord may not even know you have issues.

It took me 6 months to finally get the PM to contact the landlord about a number of issues that were minor but the owner deserved to know about (minor ceiling leaks, sticking doors, new paint job with significant defects).

Just curious what others think. I've been in the same place for 4 years. When I moved in, one kitchen door didn't totally close (under the sink) which I could live with. The kitchen is decrepit, 40 years old, chipped chipboard inside.

Ok, so you moved in and therefore approved thos conditions.

Since I moved in, the door knobs & hinges have gone on all doors.

What did you do with/to them?

Now I have a moth breeding issue though the real estate believes that's my fault and nothing to do with the kitchen doors not closing.

Were there moths breeding when you moved in?
What has moth breeding got to do with kitchen doors not closing?

Ive never heard of moths breeding inside a house.
Im very interested in the full story behind this.

My rent just went up $20 to $320 (I live in a studio). I tried negotiating as I think it's overpriced considering the condition yet I'm told the rent stands and the owner doesn't wasn't to do anything about the cupboards.
It's also interesting that the current agent hasn't even seen the place as the only two that have have left.

Do landlords not need to fix things that go wrong with places?

Yes they do need to fix things, especially essential things.

Cupboard doors, maybe not...for some LL's.

I would fix them, and any other problems not related to tenant damage pronto, but the rent would be going up more regularly than once in 4 years.

Trade off Im afraid.

I'm pretty hard-*** with landlords that don't want to fix things that they should fix, but none of these sound like essential repairs. Depending on what "knobs & hinges have gone" means. Can you still open and close all the doors? Are the knobs loose or have they come off? The cupboards should be kept in workable condition, but you're not entitled to new cupboards simply because you think they're too old.

I would agree that I can't see how moths could be related to the cupboard doors. I've had weevil moths before, and it's a mongrel infestation to get rid of, but it was because I went overseas for 6 weeks and they went nuts in an old bag of barley at the back of my pantry. (Took months to get rid of.) But they usually come from a food source inside the cupboards, not from something outside making its way in, in which case more tightly closing doors would just make it worse.

I'd also agree that one modest rent rise in 4 years makes you a pretty fortunate tenant.

Interesting about bugs in houses.

We had a tenant move into an IP once and within 24hrs was calling complaining about cockroaches in kitcken cupboards !

We made sure there was absolutely no cockroaches anywhere and pointed this out at the initial inspection.

I asked the tenant to check her boxes of stuff she hadnt unpacked yet.

She rang back apologising that the roaches were imported in her stuff.

Good tenant!

To clarify, I started renting at $270 a week and have had yearly increases.

I did accept the decrepit kitchen with one door not shutting. The hinges are dying and knobs have either fallen off or come off because it is an old kitchen. The previous agent suggested to the owner back in 2010 to replace the kitchen because of its condition. He said he'd reassess in 6 months. Its been 3 years.

My basis for the moths is that if the doors actually shut, they couldn't get in. There's so many chips and nooks in the chipboard that eggs can be laid. I know pantry moths start from weavels but I don't use flour, breadcrumbs, anything that could allow them to breed. Maybe I'm wrong but regardless, it would be nice have functioning cupboards.

I get that rent goes up, market value yadda yadda but I also think that the condition of a place needs to be factored inl. I've also looked at other studios in the area that have renovated kitchens, similar size studio and they are being rented for $300. Based on what I saw, there is no way they would get $320 if I was to move. One place was $320, was on the market for 4 weeks and got rented for $300.
Real estates just do it because they can and rent is just 'expected' to go up every year.
Anyway, I have a choice so I will be giving my notice and finding something in better condition and a bit cheaper and they can have fun finding someone to rent here for the price they want

Anyway, I have a choice so I will be giving my notice and finding something in better condition and a bit cheaper and they can have fun finding someone to rent here for the price they want

Im glad you finished your post with that. Fair enough too.;)

have you thought of buying PPOR and ending the uncertainty of abode?

Dear Strauss

Its sounds like you are in a bit of a predicament.
Sorry to hear it.
Could I suggest you have a look at similar properties to see if they offer better conditions and less rent?
While moving house is time consuming and expensive, it sounds like it may be time to do some assessment.
Are the rents lower than your current one?
Then Move! (Vote with your feet)
Are they higher?
Then Stay and ask to sign a new lease, buy yourself a can of Mortein and fumigate and a few door handles and hinges! ( tell tell the agent!)
I hope this helps!:)

A relative has been renting the same place for 10 years, shes complaining that the kitchen and bathroom are looking old and decrepit and I agree. I told her that even if the owner wants to replace the kitchen/bathroom its unlikely they will do it while she is still living there - just too impractical - especially with one bathroom. They would wait until she moves out.
Cheers nat

Its sounds like you are in a bit of a predicament.
Sorry to hear it.
Could I suggest you have a look at similar properties to see if they offer better conditions and less rent?
While moving house is time consuming and expensive, it sounds like it may be time to do some assessment.
Are the rents lower than your current one?
Then Move! (Vote with your feet)
Are they higher?
Then Stay and ask to sign a new lease, buy yourself a can of Mortein and fumigate and a few door handles and hinges! ( tell tell the agent!)
I hope this helps!:)

Could I suggest an alternative ....

The LL obviously doesn't care or is oblivious to the problems you have mentioned, however, you have been there for 4 years and presumably would like to stay on?

Why not fix (or get fixed) the kitchen cupboard and any other small nuisances that bother you which are peanuts (<$100). Let the PM/Owner know that you have dealt with the issues and this should keep you in good stead. The owner may even think you are actually looking after the place and not hike the rent at the next opportunity. Heck, he might even suggest you deduct your out of pocket expenses from your next rent payment! (I have done that where the tenant has taken the initiative and arranged a repair.)

If you actually deal with the problem rather than let the issue persist and cause angst then you may actually be better off in personal sanity as well as being more valued as a tenant.

(nb: LL should probably have to deal with these issues but may not be so inclined as he will be paying several times the odds for a non-essential repair.)

thanks for the advice folks.
I have been trying to get rid of my pantry moths for quite some time now. I've mortein'd the place several times and gone through more pantry moth traps than I care to mention.
I forgot to mention that a repairman did come several months ago to fix the clothes line on the balcony and he had a look at the kitchen cupboards and said it's too old to fix and it needed to be ripped out. I'm guessing if he did do something and hinges/knobs didn't stay in, he'd be held responsible.
He said some repairman would try and fix it though, hence why I put it to the real estate agent again to get someone out to no avail.
I will move. I have been a stellar tenant, rent always paid on time, the owner has spent hardly anything the past few years. The owners is a tight **** in general, the real estate is hopeless so it's on to bigger and better (and hopefully pest free) :)

thanks for the advice folks.
I have been trying to get rid of my pantry moths for quite some time now. I've mortein'd the place several times and gone through more pantry moth traps than I care to mention.
I forgot to mention that a repairman did come several months ago to fix the clothes line on the balcony and he had a look at the kitchen cupboards and said it's too old to fix and it needed to be ripped out. I'm guessing if he did do something and hinges/knobs didn't stay in, he'd be held responsible.
He said some repairman would try and fix it though, hence why I put it to the real estate agent again to get someone out to no avail.
I will move. I have been a stellar tenant, rent always paid on time, the owner has spent hardly anything the past few years. The owners is a tight **** in general, the real estate is hopeless so it's on to bigger and better (and hopefully pest free) :)

Poor landlord who rented you this property in this condition and poor you for suffering a 15% to 20% increase in rent over 3 years.

Based on Plasma prices, or are they LED TV'snow, you should of got a rent reduction.

Poor landlord who rented you this property in this condition and poor you for suffering a 15% to 20% increase in rent over 3 years.

Based on Plasma prices, or are they LED TV'snow, you should of got a rent reduction.

Have you reduced any of your rents?

The rent increase was effective 30/04/14 but I kept paying $300 because I hadn't heard anything from the real estate regarding my concerns. I finally heard from them the other day only because I was in arrears based on their system, not to address my issues and my questioning the rent increase which they were supposed to talk to landlord about 6 weeks ago. They quickly got in contact with the owner, then said the rent increase stands.

The rent increase was effective 30/04/14 but I kept paying $300 because I hadn't heard anything from the real estate regarding my concerns. I finally heard from them the other day only because I was in arrears based on their system, not to address my issues and my questioning the rent increase which they were supposed to talk to landlord about 6 weeks ago. They quickly got in contact with the owner, then said the rent increase stands.

Yep. You're guilty of not paying the designated rent.
If rental amount is not in line with places of similar condition, why are you staying there?

Firstly, the moths are your problem, so deal with it.
The owners is a tight **** in general,
This may, or may not be true. The landlord may be intending to renovate the place, but can't do it with a tenant in place, so will just keep you there until you move. I've got one like that. It's going to be a big job, but there's long term tenants in place and we don't really have the time to do it ATM, so we just keep patching up what needs to be done & when these tenants move out it will get a nice overhaul.

LL is not tight just because you agreed to rent the place & you want it made better than the original standard. He may not have been made aware of how bad the issue is, OR the issue is not as bad as you make out.
The rent increase was effective 30/04/14 but I kept paying $300 because I hadn't heard anything from the real estate regarding my concerns.

Poor form here. You can't just choose to not pay the increase. You are now in arrears. This may now affect you when looking to move.

As a landlord I would put new knobs on (probably would put in a new kitchen if it really is falling apart), but honestly, the moths inside a kitchen cupboard are nothing to do with the state of the cupboard. That is an issue for you and it will be from a food source, as already mentioned. I've had it in my own pantry.

All that aside, if you can get better rent elsewhere, then I'd move. If you look like paying to move and won't get a better standard than you currently have, I'd take the advice earlier and spend $100 on hinges and knobs because that will be cheaper than moving, changing address on everything.

The landlord may or may not be tight. It could be they cannot afford a new kitchen, or they just may not care. Either way, you have the choice to vote with your feet or spend a little (wrong as it may be) in order to make your life there more comfortable.

If you are a great tenant who pays rent on time and intends to occupy this place for quite a while, say a couple of years; the landlord and agent should see the value in this. Perhaps a stern email to the agent, threatening to leave, will actually help here.

but honestly, the moths inside a kitchen cupboard are nothing to do with the state of the cupboard. That is an issue for you and it will be from a food source, as already mentioned. I've had it in my own pantry.

There is one simple way to avoid moths in pantry dry foods. When you buy flour, breadcrumbs, oats etc put the unopened box in the freezer for 48 hours. The eggs are already in the dry product why you buy, so by freezing you kill the eggs.

No eggs, no moths.
Marg

Back