Renting to people recently from overseas

Hi all

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this...

I've got an applicant from another country on a working visa who's only been in this country for 3-4 months and renting for about the same in a short term lease. His referees therefore can only tell me about his 3-4 months and so I have nothing else to go off. His job and financials are good and he appears quite professional but I'm just concerned about his lack of time in the country/lack of long term referees. Being my first rental property I'm naturally a little nervous about letting a stranger stay in my property without getting much track record about him but would you in this situation give him a go?

Thx!

I've rented out 2 places to recent overseas migrants and have had no drama at all.

I got the property mgr to sit and explain to them their obligations, and then used my right to inspect the props every 4 months or so, and I can honestly say that I had no drama at all.

One couple are still in one unit, and in the other unit the tennant stayed for 2 years. I had no unreasonable claims and had total confidence in the property manager. In both cases they had looked for months to get a place and couldnt get a start, so maybe that worked in my favour, they now have good references from my prop manager, and my places are spotless.

Maybe Im just lucky, but I personally have no aversion to it.

regards
Luvvit.

I'm sure there are lots of stories out there both good and bad when it comes to renters from overseas and renters in general.

Why not give them a chance, they start paying you rent sooner than later, and if any concerns pop up, well thats what your PM is there for and a good learning experience to boot. (And I say this after having both good and bad experiences with renters from overseas)

We have done it several times, without any major issues.

One tenant we found out about a year later had been previously incarcerated for second degree murder in USA, and on her release, was deported back to Canada.

I'd say give them a chance...maybe charge a slightly rent, as it is only short term.

Hi Artlez,

I'm with everyone else in this. The only extra suggestion I have is not to take their word re employment & financials. Ask them to give you contact numbers and names of their employers but also try and find these details independently to corroborate what they have said.

Kind regards,
Jody

More anecdotal evidence to add to the pot :D

I have gone with a recent arrival in Logan, QLD and have only heard one peep out of them since moving in 9 months ago. Rent has always been paid on time and the place has been looked after nicely. They are probably paying $10 above market rent, and in a renters' market too!

Given the nature of our property portfolio, we typically rent to either travellers or recent immigrants from other countries. (In fact we met a couple and their son at one of our units at 3am this Wednesday, as they'd just flown in from Kenya!). What we have found is that most of them are absolutely fine. The only problems we've had have been when renting to a group of single guys. They always paid the rent on time, but just had no idea of how to clean up after themselves. The unit was left in a really grotty state. But that's not a 'foreign' thing, I think it's just a 'young single guy' thing. ;)

Back