Rents are pushing up inflation?!

My youngest daughter is on a scholarship of $380 pw (after tax) and can manage to pay $175 pw rent, pay for all the usual living expenses - and run a car which is regularly serviced.

Sorry! I'll get off my soap box now - am afraid the subject of 'financial illiteracy' gets me going every time. :mad:

Sounds like you taught your daughter well. Unfortunately, I got a job while at uni that paid $50,000 a year, and 3 years later I was on $120,000 a year. I was young, and money was easy come easy go. I owned 2 sports cars, a motorcycle, went overseas regularly, and gave large sums of money away (at least that wasn't wasted. I believe the Salvos sent quite a number of ex-street kids to TAFE on my donations.) I woke up at age 28, realised I was earning at least double, if not triple my friend's wages, and had less to show for it than they did.

2 years later, I now have a massive deposit for my house, and drive a cheap car (immaculately self serviced I might add!). I have a lot of young friends from previously having done a lot of volunteer work with youth, both disadvantaged and from privileged backgrounds. It's my soap box as well (Shove over and give me a bit of room!). I cringe every time I hear a friend borrows large sums of money to buy a car at age 18-20... It's not an income generating asset fool! Live within your means and borrow to make money!!!

One of the big retailers lives in our street. I was chatting to him about this at one of our Xmas street parties. He reckoned it was his number one strategy for extracting cash off the poor and into his pocket.

But as he said, he simply drops the line with some bait on.....they don't have to bite.....but once they do, he reels 'em in and shoves them on his pile.

Daz that's so wrong on so many levels. How does this guy sleep at night....:confused:

It's like dealing heroin and claiming "I don't put the needle in their arm". He'd best hope there's no afterlife cause there's some serious karma heading his way...

ArJay

It's not just big retailers like Daz's neighbour, but furniture stores, car dealerships etc. - they all do it.

Just as McDonalds is in the real estate business and not the fast food business, many companies these days are in the business of selling finance - not the comfy furniture or sleek looking gas guzzlers they have in their showrooms.

It's not that they sell finance that I find so objectionable, it's the glossy advertising and brainwashing - the 'buy-this-and-you'll-feel-so-much-better/younger/more-glamorous/etc' message - that goes with it which sucks in so many people that I think is totally unconscionable.

Cheers
LynnH

I think land lords in a lot of peoples mind equates to slum lord probably from reading to much Dickens as a child, instead of fine community members prepared you risk their own money to help house people who can not or will not risk their own. Does the term "Soft Target" ring any bells?

I have said before the RBA cannot itself resolve the housing crisis....
Of course the RBA wont solve the housing crisis - it's not their role. They are responsible for monetary policy and have one big fat stick to prod inflation around with - interest rates. They have a responsibility the the macro-economy, not to merely the residential property market in isolation.

I think land lords in a lot of peoples mind equates to slum lord probably from reading to much Dickens as a child, instead of fine community members prepared you risk their own money to help house people who can not or will not risk their own. Does the term "Soft Target" ring any bells?
You are correct; yet rational, balanced journalism doesn't sell papers ;)

The rental crisis is not caused by landlords - it is caused by having too few landlords.

Back