Rents Falling!

It was originally listed as a 3 bedroom, however the response was that the living area was small so, on advice from the PM, we decided to try the 2 bedroom approach and potentially use a bedroom as a dining room or study if required. We shall see.

I reckon your PM is a bit of a nong.

Advertise as 3 bedder to get the punters in and let them decide what they want to use the rooms for.

Dave

I absolutely agree with wylie. There are 3 bedders advertised for $300 so there's no way I would want this on as a 2 bed house. I personally would only search for min 3 bedrooms & we don't even have kids (This means 1 room is the study + 1 spare/guest bedroom). I would also decrease to $300 or even $295, which psychologically seems a lot cheaper. The reno looks great & this property should definitely have rented. There are no other as new interiors competing against yours so this should be a feature.

With the text, it really sounds as though the PM is apologising for the size/layout before the potential tenant has objected. If all the previous inspections have said it's too small you can handle that by saying "This 3 bedroom fully renovated cottage home..." I would change that stuff about how you can make the house work. It just sounds too hard & makes me not be bothered seeing it. I also think the heading sounds like the house is sitting around. It would be more appealing to say, "Sparkling Renovated Beachside!"
I would say something in the text about "in this much-sought after location, beach side of the highway." Add other features such as "Indoor/Outdoor living with lounge opening onto massive all-weather deck. Perfect for alfresco entertaining!" and "Fully fenced, low maintenance huge yard." I like to put "Pets By Arrangement" as many people assume no pets. Of course, you may not want pets.

cava, I really do think the marketing is working against you here.

As an aside, this PM knows who I am so on the off chance you send any of this to her, please don't send the bit that says "Ms Jade". :)

Received a contract for renewal from RE today, and surprisingly it had no rent increase on it :confused: I expected our rent to be increased by at least 25-30 dollars, maybe even 50 dollars.

Not that i complain, but it seems strange. :p In my opinion our rent is way under market. The cheapest house that's available for rent in our area is 75 dollars more than what we are paying.

Strannik I think you need to sign it and send it back quick smart if that is the case, you are talking about the lease for the house you are living in aren't you not one of your tenant leases?

yeah, that's the house we are renting
didn't sign, as there are some issues with contract which we want to resolve first, but yeah we'll definitely be signing it asap :)

oops! I shouldn't read posts late at night. Read it all wrong! Thought you were not getting an increase in rent on your i.p. that was under market. Not a property you rent :eek: LOL!

IP in Heildelberg West (Melbourne 10km from CBD)

Comparing rents in Feb/March vs 4-6 months ago showed me little change. I would regard this as a "drop" in real terms and also because this should be peak season vs just before Xmas.

I probably could have squeezed out a small rental increase but I was happy enough to lock in a stable no fuss tenant for another 12 months.

I think the there will be more emphasis in tenant selection and less on price in the next 12-24 months. I would not be surprised to see stagnant / easing rents over the same period.

i had tennt give me notice yesterday as he is a private rental and told hime he is fine to move whenever. new rent will be $60pw more :)

Touch slower in Coomera

IP in Upper Commera (Gold Coast) recently had tenant vacate and PM indicated that they had not seen the rental market (ie enquiries and people looking for acommodation) as slow for some time.

The normal practice over the years that I have owned this IP, has been rent increases almost without fail every 6 months, usually $5 or $10 pw. This is the first time that this didn't happen, but in saying that the PM did find someone to move in the day after the previous tenant vacated. So hardly disastrous but the feedback on the rental market was in stark contrast to what I am seeing in Melbourne inner suburbs.

May the PM was panicking more than me :p

Melbourne’s Outer East

I’ve been told by two independent property managers recently that rental growth in the area has slowed. Typical rent increases are back to the old five or ten dollars per week. The big jumps of $20+ that occurred in 2007 and 2008 are over.

Most of my properties are in the affordable end of the market....so I am still raising rents between $10-20pw every six months.

So far so good....the Sydney properties are moving the most in rent!:D

Rental market has definately dropped off on Redcliffe Peninsula. I have had my Scarborough property vacant for 1 week now and have dropped the rent by $15.00. I had to evict the previous tenant for not paying his rent and the place was a squalor. That could have something to do with it not renting before he left but we have had no applications even vacant.:eek:

People are around but they have more to choose from. I also notice a house down the road has been vacant for 4 weeks now. It is $5 less than mine, but I have a rumpus room.

I'm giving it another weekend and dropping it by another $10!

Regards JO

Josko even just noticed in my own local area that there are a number of vacancies. To Let signs have not been around for years. Now all about.

Fairly upper class area.
But about 8 + homes ranging from average 3 bedroom to 5 bedroom and fancy features have come on line this week :eek:

Probably relates to a number of large projects heading to completion.
Power Companies, RTA and BHP and minor improvement jobs. Now all finishing. :eek:

Sponsored Proffesional staff moving on to the next project

I think it will get worse :(

I think things are just getter better and better with what we primarily rent out.

Rent rises thru the roof, and tenants falling over themselves to lease out our stuff.

Having a whale of a time. Market rent reviews - just gotta love them.

i've heard there is this thing they call reducing LVR
helps a lot to reduce expenses

EDIT: where did all the numbers with 3 houses go?:p

Back