Rents on Rampage - story in local paper

I used to think investors were responsible for a significant part of the property price bubble....and am still suspicious. It is true that they were buying property in larger numbers than historically over the last 10 years.

However, ABS stats show the proportion of owner occupied dwellings has not changed drastically in the last 17 odd years.

1991 68.0%
1996 69%
2001 69.5%
2006 69.8%
source: Australian Year Book 2008 page 313

And in that case, one can only infer there is not a higher % of investment property around today cf 15 years ago.

Are there any statistics on who is actually doing the buying and selling? Say over the last 10 years what % of sales are to owner/occupier and how many to investors?

Who gives two craps about this guy? He made his choices. I chose not pursue an obscure and average paying career that was mega-interesting, instead choosing a profession that requires lots of hard work and training, and bought investments rather than traveling.

There's benefits to both.

Ok. Let me re-phrase. The younger generation currently hitting the workforce and moving out of home dont have it as easy as the generation hitting the workforce 5-7 years ago amid extremely LOW interest rates and A LOT MORE affordable housing opportunities.

I disagree. There were always suburbs which were unaffordable, and affordable. You just need to find them and be realistic on what you can afford.

Heck imagine living in Footscray 20 years ago! povo land!

buying a house was never easy, and always required effort and sacrifice. These days its allot easier to get a high paying job than it was say 10 years ago.

I disagree. There were always suburbs which were unaffordable, and affordable. You just need to find them and be realistic on what you can afford.

buying a house was never easy, and always required effort and sacrifice. These days its allot easier to get a high paying job than it was say 10 years ago.

Agree. Maybe some people are watching a little too much Today Tonight and Current Affair shows.

Hi VY
I love your signature. That has been such a major driver for me investing.

On the story, same old same old. Rich landlord rips off tenants, Rich business owner rips off employees. Both translate to it's easier to whinge and moan then to get off your A#$e and look after your self and acheive something

:mad: Hey. nothing wrong with Footscray. I grew up in West Footscray actually and let me tell you the central shopping hub of footscray was buzzing back in the 80's...unlike now.

I'm not saying the act of buying a house and paying off a mortgage is easy. Someone dedicated to this will always do it, but the choices we had 10-15 years ago are not the same choices people have today!
e.g. Living inner city. Back 20 years ago people didnt mind moving further out of town, buying a block of land and building a dream home. Living inner city wasnt a priority for a lot of people, but as the city gets bigger people want to live closer to the city.
The first home buyers/mortgage belt is moving further out of from the CBD. This makes life tougher for those city workers dont you think?

Well, no doubt these sob stories will keep coming. If nothing else spurs me to keep investing these certainly do. Looks like the "battler" mentality has been thoroughly replaced with the "whinger" mentality.

You make your bed you have to lie in it.

you really think so?
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t+Living,Serviced+Apartment,Studio,Unit&o=def
there are plenty of affordable properties in the eastern suburbs of melbourne.
First thing I saw was that most of the properties on the first page were under contract, which makes me doubt their sale was below or on the asking price.

Looking at both those suburbs makes me glad I'm in SA. $200k+ for a unit 30km from the city :eek: no thanks.

Units selling in my area for $150-180k. 8km from the city.

Are those above listed suburbs upperclass?

First thing I saw was that most of the properties on the first page were under contract, which makes me doubt their sale was below or on the asking price.

Looking at both those suburbs makes me glad I'm in SA. $200k+ for a unit 30km from the city :eek: no thanks.

Units selling in my area for $150-180k. 8km from the city.

Are those above listed suburbs upperclass?

Dandy is your classical "ugly duckling" :) For units with land component (non-apartment) that are 5-8km from CBD in Melbourne you are looking at least 400k+ (that will be pretty run-down)..

Back