Replacement laminate kitchen doors/panels - Melbourne

Hi All

One of our IP's needs a tidy up whilst we are between tenants, and whilst the kitchen is a fairly good design, the current colours are awful.

Two questions;

- Is it cheaper / easier to get the existing cupboard doors re-laminated or replaced?

- Assuming replacement is the best way forwards - can anybody recommend a good Melbourne based company to do this?

Thanks!

Hi Tom ,

If you can do the fitting yourself then I can recommend AWP (Arrow wood Products) . This is the company I work for and we are a benchtop and door manafacturer in Tullamarine and Dandenong . Its almost always cheaper to remake everything as most places that I know of would not peel off laminate and repress because the actual board is not that expensive .

Also this is not an advertisement as I am just a worker for the company but we do make a very good product :)

Yes agree with Brad for the doors and drawer fronts but what about fixed end panels, kick-strip etc (ie the carcass)? If you change the doors etc. to an entirely different colour the carcass is going to stand out like you know what!

There are a couple of options here:
1) Replace the doors/drawer fronts with a colour similar (but nicer) to the fixed panels in the hope they'll blend in somewhat (hard to say as I don't know the existing colour)
2) Replace the doors with a completely contrasting colour and make the colour difference a feature of the kitchen
3) Replace the doors/drawers to a colour you like and then have the fixed panels professionally spray painted to match (as long as the fixed panels are in good condition and not chipped etc)
4) another option is to spray all the doors and drawers/fixed panels etc. but I don't normally recommend this to my clients unless the property is being sold immediately (since it's not as durable as laminate)

A few tips for laminate doors etc:
- make sure your new laminate doors/drawers have a good quality 2-3mm PVC edging. It's cheaper to buy them with a tape edge but this will not last - particularly for a rental property. I'd suggest spending a wee bit extra to get the durability.
- select a 'standard' laminate colour that has been around for years - and is likely to be around for another 10 years or more (check with cabinetmaker) so that if you need to replace a door or whatever in the future you don't need to worry about colour matching
- stick with a neutral colour such as white, cream, beige, warm brown/grey etc.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Back