Replacing down lights cost

I want to replace my down lights, with the fluro types, that don't use a transformer. I have about 28 to replace, what would be the cost of this, as I have to get an electrician in.

why replace? Why not leave them as they are?

You can get 35w ones that are as bright as 50w ones.

They do save a bit on power, but the downside is they dont last as long and generate more heat.

A better solution is to fit LED low voltage globes to your existing downlight fixture.
They do not carry the heat that a normal Halogen globe carries. Cost is three times more than a Halogen globe, but the darn things last a life time, and a much more pleasent lighting effect is present, and they are completely safe.

A better solution is to fit LED low voltage globes to your existing downlight fixture.
They do not carry the heat that a normal Halogen globe carries. Cost is three times more than a Halogen globe, but the darn things last a life time, and a much more pleasent lighting effect is present, and they are completely safe.

Railglider is correct.

I continually have commercial tenants installing up to 9 halogens in a 10-12 square room then complain that the air conditioning does not work.

LED's have a clearer light as well.

I've heard that led's are still very dull with the light they throw compared to normal halogen downlights. Care to recommend any suitable LED replacements for 50W globes with similar light throw?

I heard they didin't last as long on 12VAC and that you needed to replace the transformer to a 12VDC if your current system is AC?

The Y-man

Back