Repointing bricks

Hi All,

Due to this wet weather in Melb, I have started to see bricks (closer to ground) start to loose mortar and its crumbling. I plan to fix it now rather than wait for it get worse.

Impacted area would be 2-3 layers of bricks from the ground probably all around the house.

Called a brick layer to got an approx quote of 1200 and its a 1 day job. does that sound OK?

I saw some videos on youtube and does not look that difficult. Has anybody done it before (re-mortar bricks or repoint bricks whatever you call it)?

How do I get the same color mortar as my house is old (approx 30 yrs)?

Any tips would be appreciated

Regards,
TV

Due to this wet weather in Melb, I have started to see bricks (closer to ground) start to loose mortar and its crumbling. I plan to fix it now rather than wait for it get worse. Impacted area would be 2-3 layers of bricks from the ground probably all around the house.
Sounds like rising damp affecting the bricks & mortar in the rows below the damp course.

Called a brick layer to got an approx quote of 1200 and its a 1 day job. does that sound OK?
Sounds expensive, although a good brickie can lay 1,000 bricks a day @ the rate of $1 a brick - so perhaps the going rate.

How do I get the same color mortar as my house is old (approx 30 yrs)?
Nigh impossible, I'd say. The colour is going to be a function of the sand used, cement mix and any tint used from an oxide - all of which will be different after 30 years.

Any tips would be appreciated
Not a recommendation, and I am no bricklayer, but I have used this product before (Selleys Mortar Works) with some success (well at least it has filled up the missing mortar and it hasn't come out yet after a number of years): http://www.selleys.com.au/fillers/flexible-gap-filler/mortar-repair
From memory it was about $13 a tube from Bunnings.

Back