repossessed homes?

Flicking through the paper a few weeks back I saw a half-page ad listing repossessed properties for sale. Think it was in the Sunday Telegraph. There weren't many in it though.

Along with the empty house, another tell-tale sign of a repo is an overcapitalised feature of the property - average 70's brick home but an ultra-expensive overdone caesterstone benchtop kitchen, yet the poo-brown carpet still exists in the remainder of the house and/or the fence is falling down. Or a big extension all freshly painted yet the rest of the house is untouched.

in a few open houses lately, the agents have been reluctant to divluge that the property is a repo. So unlike a few years back, it is not always blatantly obvious. I don't see the white letter in the window or advertised as a repo much now.

The repo house I purchased was not empty. I had hired furniture it that looked great! I don't know who authorised or paid for this, but don't always assume that a repo house will be empty. Also, one glance at the contract will tell you that it's been repossessed - having a bank's name on the front page is a giveaway - banks are not in the business of owning houses!

There is a repossessed property going up for auction this weekend 2 houses down from me.

3br + 2br brick dual occupancy, agent guide price is $420-$440k combined, rental income $330 + $250 combined. Not sure if anyone here would be interested.

There is a repossessed property going up for auction this weekend 2 houses down from me.

3br + 2br brick dual occupancy, agent guide price is $420-$440k combined, rental income $330 + $250 combined. Not sure if anyone here would be interested.

Hi Dave

I would be, can you send me the link?
I think he's a bit optimistic on the price

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-st+clair-107299210

From a price POV its not too bad. The house I am currently in is on the market for around $340k, so its $100k to get an additional 2br brick house ready made.

I had to laugh at the agent's $700pw rental forecast, he was adamant that

Front house - $380pw
Rear house - $320pw

Waaaaaaaaaaay off. The front house would rent for $360pw if it had the full yard. More like $320pw with a yard the size of a patio. Rear house $220-250pw is realistic since it has a yard and nicer outlook. There is a 2br house similar with its own 400sqm land for rent a few streets away for $260pw.

Typical agent trying to suck in mum and dad investors with the promise of over the top returns.

On that topic, someone listed their house (obviously owner occupied) for rent a few streets away, 3br single living for $450! pw. Its real market value is $370-$380. Another listed their house (3br carport only on battleaxe) for $420pw, its been dropping weekly and is now at $390, looks like its just been rented, worth more like $370.

Reactions: BV
There would be an open home tomorrow arvo - if you are going to take a look come and say hi, I am 2 houses away :)

I went through on the launch day (first showing), went in at 11.20 (openi was 11-11.30) and I was the 2nd person through. Who knows, maybe you can grab it cheap at auction!

Bit off topic, but this one has done a subdivision http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/St-Clair/?adid=2008739329 on their dual occ. Rather odd (even for St Clare ;) )

I looked at that - the main house in front was for sale as well. Horrible houses, on the intersection of explorers way (one of the main ways in/out of the suburb), erskine park road (4 lane arterial) and the M4 motorway. It was like there were semi's in your house.

The house in front sold for under $300k adn is now on the market to rent at $360pw.

The agent said the owner wanted $315k for the house and $220k for the granny flat. I told him (after being the only person at the open home) that the house, if it had the full yard, would be worth about $320k, and the granny flat building was worth about $50k, so I would consider an offer around $360k for both. He said no, owner wont look at anything under $500k for both. What a joke.

Can buy a similar 3br house (mine for example) for $330-$340k, $60k to add a grannt flat and am stil well under their asking price and not on the corner of 3 main roads.

Owner is probably kicking themselves.

Yeah, I've seen that one too. It's kind of in the price range that we're looking for, for the daughter. I spoke to the agent, thinking it had a full size block of land to go with it and it was a good price (for the land). I nearly choked when I found out it was just a granny flat with next to no land. Stupid price for the damn thing. I'm surprised they were allowed to sub-divide it.

Yeah, I've seen that one too. It's kind of in the price range that we're looking for, for the daughter. I spoke to the agent, thinking it had a full size block of land to go with it and it was a good price (for the land). I nearly choked when I found out it was just a granny flat with next to no land. Stupid price for the damn thing. I'm surprised they were allowed to sub-divide it.

I said that to the agent as well... he told me "where else can you buy 400sqm of land in St Clair for about $180k, thast what the land value is".

I said sure... if it had a street frontage and wasn't up a shared side driveway, and wasnt on the corner of EP road and the M4. He didn't have an answer for that.

I said that to the agent as well... he told me "where else can you buy 400sqm of land in St Clair for about $180k, thast what the land value is".

I said sure... if it had a street frontage and wasn't up a shared side driveway, and wasnt on the corner of EP road and the M4. He didn't have an answer for that.

400sqm? I think you will find it's much smaller than that.

It's a joke.

400sqm? I think you will find it's much smaller than that.

It's a joke.

I think the whole block is around 600sqm
So it will have to be about 300m each but a substantial amount of the land belonging to the rear property will be part of their driveway.

Agree completely, but it will be worth watching to see how this pans out as there would be a market (be it very small) for this kind of property. It's an ugly development, but if the vendor makes money then does it matter?

Looks like a Hitech cabin about 40sqm so I wonder who would finance it :confused:

I noticed the sold sign on the place and wondered who on earth would buy it, even without realising it was a subdivided block. What a shocker of an intersection to live on and how would you get out of there for the few hours of morning peak hour? That's a big rent they are asking for too.

Back