Researching on Melbourne

I am looking at expanding my IP portfolio. Due to Sydney being everything too expensive these days, I am casting the net further out to say Melbourne and Brisbane. Of course another advantage is another land tax threshold available where in Sydney it is easy to go over it (land is so expensive) for land tax purposes. My wife and I are keen to buy something in Melbourne.

I am looking at something like townhouse/villa closer to Melbourne city, or even a house further out if there are good growth potential. I don't like units personally as it is easily duplicated out.

I am looking at a number of suburbs such as Brunswick/Coburg area, Blackburn/Balwyn/Box Hill, Glen Waverley/Mount Waverley/Mulgrave areas. I still have a lot of research to do.

Now obviously there are tons of suburbs in Melbourne which I can look online, but nothing beats getting to Melbourne and look at it ourselves. So it makes it very tough and exhaustive way to look for opportunities.

Obviously one way to do it is to get a local buyers agent. But we both like to know the area ourselves first before purchasing. But like most people, both of us are working Mon-Fri and in many ways, time poor.

So for people who are seasoned interstate investors who are working Mon-Fri full time, do you travel interstate on regular weekends to buy property? Or most people here simply use agents and do not bothered to see the locale and properties available before buying?

Ironically if Adelaide is a growth city then I would be easily buying it in Adelaide as I lived there for 11 years and know the suburbs fairly well (and definitely know about Elizabeth area where most the somersofters seems have a property there!), not to mention the houses are cheap comparing to Sydney. But Melbourne and Brisbane are growth cities, but I have no idea and I am trying to figure out the quickest way to learn about the suburbs of these cities.

When I bought my IP in Melbourne (from Perth), I did a few months of desktop research first (re.com.au and google maps). I shortlisted some suburbs I was interested in and a whole lot of properties. Then I booked a couple of weeks off work and went on holidays and and looked at real estate. I found a fantastic bargain in Heidelberg West, drove into the suburb and crossed the whole suburb off my list. There is nothing like driving around a suburb to get a feel for it. I spent my days inspecting properties and evenings shortlisting for the next day. I did have a holiday too :D

Anyway, found exactly what I wanted, where I wanted and bought it by auction over the phone a couple of weeks later. It turned out to be a great buy! Not everyone will buy this way but I like to... I'm a hands on kinda guy.

We bought in Brisbane. I already knew Parts if Brisbane well - wynnum manly
We came to the conclusion that the whole city was undervalued and spent probably a month looking for undervalued suburbs. Then short listed to properties - then we went up there abd we didn't really like any of the properties we looked at . The one we bought we couldn't even go inside as it was a public trustee house and they don't work weekends!

I think you have to go and see a property / area before you buy. It's half the fun and you know where you can add value

Well I am sure that Melbourne is not cheap. But should not be as expensive as Sydney. In terms of budget I am looking at spending 400-500K, or even go up to 600K if the property is really good value. Having said that though, the stamp duty is so expensive in VIC comparing to NSW I would really need to do a lot of research first online before do all those FIFO weekend trips.

A mate recently bought a 3 bed in West Footscray for $525k. The place was a mess outside and needed some general tlc on the inside. It;s now rent ready, though he is living in it for the time time being. He had it valued again post his small changes, (in the hundreds) and it's up to $580. He has about $50k worth of renovations to add and then hopes to sell it for $700k, which is in the average price in his street....basically he got a bargain because the previous owners did nothing to the house to sell it and it had been on the market for 6 months.

When I bought my IP in Melbourne (from Perth), I did a few months of desktop research first (re.com.au and google maps). I shortlisted some suburbs I was interested in and a whole lot of properties. Then I booked a couple of weeks off work and went on holidays and and looked at real estate. I found a fantastic bargain in Heidelberg West, drove into the suburb and crossed the whole suburb off my list. There is nothing like driving around a suburb to get a feel for it. I spent my days inspecting properties and evenings shortlisting for the next day. I did have a holiday too :D

Anyway, found exactly what I wanted, where I wanted and bought it by auction over the phone a couple of weeks later. It turned out to be a great buy! Not everyone will buy this way but I like to... I'm a hands on kinda guy.

Sounds like my kinda holiday :D

I am looking at something like townhouse/villa closer to Melbourne city, or even a house further out if there are good growth potential. I don't like units personally as it is easily duplicated out.

I am looking at a number of suburbs such as Brunswick/Coburg area, Blackburn/Balwyn/Box Hill, Glen Waverley/Mount Waverley/Mulgrave areas. I still have a lot of research to do.

Now obviously there are tons of suburbs in Melbourne which I can look online, but nothing beats getting to Melbourne and look at it ourselves. So it makes it very tough and exhaustive way to look for opportunities.
I am trying to figure out the quickest way to learn about the suburbs of these cities.

If you did a search on those suburbs for up to $600k, there'd be pretty slim picking for houses I suspect.

A tour of the local area seen through my eyes.

I grew up in Mulgrave (and still work here!) - not much in terms of transport - it's one of those places where a car is a must. That can reduce your rental demographic a bit. Mulgrave has a lot of light industrial land (adjoining into Clayton/Notting hill) and the whole suburb has a bit of that "blue collar" feel. There are some oddball newer developments in places like Shaftsbury Dve where my primary school used to be. Geoff sold it off to developers some years back....

Glen Waverley up the road is a huge suburb - and varies from a continuation of the Mulgrave feel on its southern borders to the Accor Central (Can't believe we can sustain both an Ibis and Novotel) which is a big (up market) Asian activity hub without quite the "Do I need a visa to enter this place" feel of Springvale or Box Hill. This is also where the station and bus terminus is. 1 hour into the city on a non-express train (and there are all of 4 express trains a day I think). Also in that vicinity is the Secondary College that everyone wants to get to , as well as Glendale primary a short drive away (again that every one seems to want to get into).

The Eastern edge of GW has much less transport - but more white collar feel than say Mulgrave IMHO (prob more Wheeler's Hill-ish). The western edge has a more "inner city" feel - going into Syndal and Mt Waverley. As they are correspondingly 2 minutes and 4 minutes closer to the city, you pay for it. Smaller shopping centres (Shopping strip in the case of Syndal), Woolies etc in Mt Waverley.

Travelling north on Springvale Rd from Mulgrave, passing through GW, you come to Nunawading/Forest Hill. The tram has recently come through on Burwood highway to this area. It theoretically takes you to the City, but allow about 24 hours to get there. May be better to hop off at Hartwell staiton and train the rest of the way. On the other hand, students going to PWC or Deakin Burwood etc will find it perfect.

You will be rest assured that the tours to Pin Oak court still run (I swear I saw a tour bus the other day). If you don't know what/where Pin Oak court is, you probably don't want to - but everybody needs good neighbours right?

Incidentally the old Channel 10 studios have now been sold to a developer and I expect to see some flashy new houses to appear there.

The area is also known for the 24 hours kmart - I guess for when you discover you have run out of undies or something a 2am :confused:

Travelling further north to Canterbury rd - middle of nowhere, the odd bus here and there, which works well for me Forest Hill Chase is always less crowded than GW or heaven forbid applying for a temporary entry permit to Box Hill and queuing up in a traffic jam to get parking.

Getting back to travelling north on Springy rd, you then come to the norther edge of Nunawading and cross the great Maroondah Hwy (aka Whitehorse rd).

This is where Nunawading Station is (30 minutes into town on an express train), but the more important institution for property investors is the office of PT Bear that is just up the road from the station.

Blackburn Station is west of Nunawading - nice "greener" suburb with a bit more "village feel" to the shopping strip IMHO than Nuna (which is a bit "industrial" in feel).

To the east of Nuna is Mitcham, where we from Somersoft occasionally meet up.

Further north of this is Donvale the most beautiful, fantastic part of Melbourne (hey, gotta talk up my suburb to get the valuation up) other than the fact that there is a bus that goes past our house with 4 times a day and nothing on Sunday.

As for Brunswick/Coburg - much older area (100 year old period homes if they haven't been knocked down by a new apartment development, compared to the 60's/70's build of say Mulgrave's older quarters), smaller blocks. If having access to a huge range of halal food and getting to the mosque on time for morning prayer is your thing, this is the area to be.

Big new Bunnings development on Gaffney St to the north (wish they had built that BEFORE I did the reno's on our Coburg IP! :() which incidentally is also the final approach for runway 27 at Tullamarine airport, so on good days you can get fantastic views of the underside of planes.

Anyway, if you come to Melbourne I highly recommend 2 very cheap bus tours run by the government here. They pick you up from outside Terminal 3 at Tullamarine Airport (Qantas end), and run every 15 to 20 minutes from dawn to past midnight. Just look for the PTV bus marked "901 Frankston".
I am not kidding - it will take you from Tulla through all the northern suburbs, then through the east, and finally to the far south east. It will give a you a real feel for the place and meet some of the local natives who use the bus to commute.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/assets/Maps/Routes/PDFs/7531_Bus-901.pdf

The other bus tour you must take is route 903. This monumental full day bus ride takes you literally right around Melbourne.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/assets/Maps/Routes/PDFs/7458_Bus-903.pdf

Make sure you purchase your Myki BEFORE getting on the bus!

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/metropolitan-myki-fares/

The Y-man

If you did a search on those suburbs for up to $600k, there'd be pretty slim picking for houses I suspect.

A tour of the local area seen through my eyes.

The Y-man

Wow, thank you for such comprehensive report! I did not expect such a long and detailed response. Very much appreciated!

You are probably right, looks like I won't get much from those areas. That's why I said I was looking more like Villa/Townhouse rather than house. I may need to increase my budget if I was gonna get a decent place without too much renovation.

A mate recently bought a 3 bed in West Footscray for $525k. The place was a mess outside and needed some general tlc on the inside. It;s now rent ready, though he is living in it for the time time being. He had it valued again post his small changes, (in the hundreds) and it's up to $580. He has about $50k worth of renovations to add and then hopes to sell it for $700k, which is in the average price in his street....basically he got a bargain because the previous owners did nothing to the house to sell it and it had been on the market for 6 months.

Interesting about West Footscray. I haven't thought about that area before. can you advise whether the Yuppies are already moving in masse, or it is still starting? With my budget maybe I am better off buying the next area to be gentrified?

Interesting about West Footscray. I haven't thought about that area before. can you advise whether the Yuppies are already moving in masse, or it is still starting? With my budget maybe I am better off buying the next area to be gentrified?

I don't think you'll find yuppies there, more like criminals with machetes hanging around the train station. I don't think those people are the type to sip a latte at a local cafe.

Wow, thank you for such comprehensive report! I did not expect such a long and detailed response. Very much appreciated!

You are probably right, looks like I won't get much from those areas. That's why I said I was looking more like Villa/Townhouse rather than house. I may need to increase my budget if I was gonna get a decent place without too much renovation.

Try Mitcham, Doncaster, Lower Templestowe.

Just make sure there's a city bound bus running nearby.

The Y-man

I don't think you'll find yuppies there, more like criminals with machetes hanging around the train station. I don't think those people are the type to sip a latte at a local cafe.

Ok obviously you have a strong opinion on west of Melbourne. So for my sanity, given I live in Sydney now, would you (or anyone else) say that how (West)Footscray/Maidstone would compare to which Sydney suburb? Is it equivalent to Blacktown? Doonside? Mount Druitt?

What about Sunshine? Is it equivalent to Bidwill/Willmot/Lethbridge Park?

Ok obviously you have a strong opinion on west of Melbourne. So for my sanity, given I live in Sydney now, would you (or anyone else) say that how (West)Footscray/Maidstone would compare to which Sydney suburb? Is it equivalent to Blacktown? Doonside? Mount Druitt?

Its equivalent for any of those types that left there nuts in there handbag.

albion.jpg

Attachments

• sunshine visitor.jpg
    sunshine visitor.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,037
There's no real equivalent per se but feel free to visit the western suburbs and see for yourself. Then go to the East/South East and do a comparison.

In 30 years time, when population grows another 2-3 million in each of these cities, these suburbs would be places you'd want to stay far, far away from.

For a look into the future of what these places may look like, visit the forgotten areas of London, New York City or LA.

Back