Residential property over commercial

Hi all. I've been looking around but cannot find what I'm looking for so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I am currently looking for a PPOR that I am also treating as a part investment decision. I am wondering what the negatives are of purchasing a residential apartment/unit that is above or behind a commercial property. I come accross the obvious ones like "it's a clothes store now but could be an Indian restaurant tomorrow", I am wondering if there is anything in particular that makes these properties a no no from an investment stand point. Any insight would be appreciated. Cheers.

... I am wondering if there is anything in particular that makes these properties a no no from an investment stand point. Any insight would be appreciated. Cheers.

What if it becomes a bakery that starts banging around at 3:00am downstairs while your resi tenants are trying to sleep upstairs?
What about early morning deliveries of stock?
....are just 2 things that come to mind.

Items to consider:

- how do you access the property?
Is it past the rear garbage bins, does it share access with commercial

- what type of parking doe you have
and can it be used by other occupants

- are there any exhausts/air conditioning units etc nearby?
these may be noisy/smelly

- what does the property overlook?
Is it over work areas, roof tops etc

- is the commercial/residential on the same strata or seperate?

- are the properties nearby owner occupied or leased?

- what is council zoning for the area and know what that zoning allows.

I'd also want to check any planning permit conditions - eg is it a "proper" unit or a caretakers that can only be used in association with the commercial premises.

Back