Residential Real Estate Development

'Evening All,

Wondering if anyone has read / reviewed what appears to be a relatively new book on this topic by Bob Andersen?

I noticed in this months API magazine an ad for his seminar, book & website.
Calling themselves Positive Property Strategies I know nothing of this father and son team, but they are advertising their book for $99.00 which is pretty pricey.

I've read, and am a big fan of, Ron Forlee's two books and just wonder how this one stacks up against Ron's quality writing.

Cheers,

Ian.

'Evening All,

Wondering if anyone has read / reviewed what appears to be a relatively new book on this topic by Bob Andersen?

I noticed in this months API magazine an ad for his seminar, book & website.
Calling themselves Positive Property Strategies I know nothing of this father and son team, but they are advertising their book for $99.00 which is pretty pricey.

I've read, and am a big fan of, Ron Forlee's two books and just wonder how this one stacks up against Ron's quality writing.

Cheers,

Ian.

Anyone read this book?

Cheers

Grimey

Edit - I'm happy to buy if its good, but $100 is steep and I don't want to just buy it..

Last edited:
spec home

Hi Ian, I would like to build a spec house and was wondering which book is best to read first as I am a beginner. Thanks for your help, Jason.

Hi Jason,

This thread was looking more at small development information(groups of townhouses etc), as opposed to building a dwelling on a single residential block of land. However, to answer your question I can't say that I have ever read any books dedicated to construction and the processes of building a single house as such.

I have built two single houses by using a known residential builder in Adelaide (Distinctive Homes) and so I cut my teeth with those two projects. I have to say, the process was initially daunting as I was new to it all, but then it became really interesting for me and now I just love getting involved. In all honesty, going with a reputable builder should not be too difficult (regardless of the horror stories you see on Current Affair), they will walk and guide you through what is required.

Depending on what you feel you want to be doing, I would suggest you possibly do the same for your first construction. That is, if you already have your land, then ask people you know if they can recommend a builder. Go and look at some of their show homes, or recent constructions and then even go to the extent of speaking with their new home consulatnts and go through the initial processes with them (but don't sign anything until you are 100% ready to have a crack). If the consultants get stroppy with you because they think your wasting their time, then politely excuse yourself and find another builder.

On the other hand, if you are a bit more ballsy, you could try and cut out the middle man and sub contract everything out and save a few $$$ by trying to handle it all yourself.

What sort of things do you have in mind Jason? Perhaps others here can throw in their thoughs / opinions too.

Cheers Ian.

Back