Retaining Bond money

Guys,

Just about to do a post inspection...

when I was there this morning I noticed two things. Firstly, there is an old 70s light shade on the lounge room light. I noticed it didn't work. When I unscrewed it, there was no plug for a bulb, just empyt wires hanging out. the inital report says the light worked... now, it doesn't.

Secondly, the bedroom door is off its hinges and resting on the wall. The tenant said it was stuck, and fell off its hinges... Again the intial report said nothing about it not working. In fact there's a note stating it's clean and undamaged.

Should I and if so how much should I take out of the bond to cover these things?

I've got the offical inspection tonite, so quick answers would be good :)

Thanks,

Jas

Jas said:
Guys,

Just about to do a post inspection...

when I was there this morning I noticed two things. Firstly, there is an old 70s light shade on the lounge room light. I noticed it didn't work. When I unscrewed it, there was no plug for a bulb, just empyt wires hanging out. the inital report says the light worked... now, it doesn't.

Secondly, the bedroom door is off its hinges and resting on the wall. The tenant said it was stuck, and fell off its hinges... Again the intial report said nothing about it not working. In fact there's a note stating it's clean and undamaged.

Should I and if so how much should I take out of the bond to cover these things?

I've got the offical inspection tonite, so quick answers would be good :)

Thanks,

Jas

State specific maybe..

In SA, you dont need to refund the bond as soon as the inspection is done, I'd be suprised if this is the case in other states.

You are quite legitimately allowed to do the final inspection, then go about your repairs and then dependent on the costs of those repairs make the appropriate bond refund. The final inspection is not a negotiation with the Tenant on bond, its just a chance to accurately capture the state of the property at the end of the Tenancy.

The final inspection is there to determine if any damage, repairs, cleaning, etc need to be attended to by the tenant before the bond is refunded. The light shade to me sounds as if the tenant has damaged and you should be entitled to take the cost of repair out of the bond. Depending on the state of the hinges on the cupboard it could be considered fair wear and tear and therfore the landlords resoponsibility to repair. However if you think the tenant has damage it in any way, that is justifaction for the tenant to pay for or have repaired.

Nobody else other that you (if you self manage) or the PM can determine these things and negotiate these items with the tenant. The bond does not have to be refunded straight away, only when all items of concern are agreed to.

Jarrod
Jarrod Lane Real Estate :)

Tenant and I spoke. She claimed the light wasn't working when she moved in... I showed her the condition report and she's paid for an electrian to fix it.

We agreed on the door being wear and tear...

Thanks Duncan and Jarrod.

Jas

Back