Retaining wall-Minor work order

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advice about a Minor working order given to me by the Council under section 113 Building Act 93to build a retaining wall to protect my neighbour’s property, which suddenly seems to have lodged a complaint with the council fearing that he might lose is soil from his property. And I wonder why I am liable to contain his property, when I asked this question to the assistant building surveyor from the council ,who came and visited my property yesterday the answer given to me is that, ‘as the retaining wall that is already there is built on my end ‘ it is my duty to repair and build it.
I bought my property in April last year and this neighbour has bought this property well before me and I am surprised that now only he has realised that he might lose the soil from his property.

Since I bought this property, from the way I see his Property’s state, where he has never mowed is or done any gardening, which is not maintained at all, I am so frustrated and worried that I have to spend money to protect his land.

Last week he came and gave a very stupid reason advising that he is worried that his dogs might get through the fence into my property. In actual fact I am the one who needs to be worried because I have a 1 year old baby son.
When I looked up online I found this law about retaining wall, which is building act 2006 section 606, which states,

606. Retaining walls
(1) The municipal building surveyor may require the owner of an allotment to provide retaining walls or other means of maintaining the stability of the soil, if the municipal building surveyor considers that the stability of the ground on the allotment or any adjoining property has been or may be adversely affected by any excavation or filling of soil on the allotment.

As highlighted above I cannot see there is a chance of him being adversely affected suddenly.
Therefore I am wondering what I can do about this? Can I appeal this matter? And do I need a lawyer for this?

In case I am forced to build it, how much will it cost? (I am single income earner who earns around 60K, where my wife is a stay at home mum) , I feel that I am unfairly treated in regards to this matter by the council.
Can I force my neighbour to share the cost of Building this retaining wall? I have uploaded the retaining wall photo as a reference; this wall is currently on my side?
Also the most important fact is that his house in the high side.

Any advise would be much appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 156
  • My Side front of the house.jpg
    My Side front of the house.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 119
Looks like the retaining wall is actually inside your boundary line not on it. That is assuming the fence is in the correct position. As its inside your boundary to my knowledge its 100% your responsibility.

They are probably concerned about the wood rot in the timber.

Are you handy/fit enough to do a wall yourself? Wall panel I have used these cement panels for retaining walls up to 1m high. Cost will depend on total length of the wall required.

A 42 meter limestone block wall 600mm high is costing me $4600. The panels would be cheaper but I have to match existing walls on the road.

I think neighbour is worried his dog will get into your yard because I would be

Your block of land looks to be excavated down from the natural level of the land so you need to maintain the retaining wall.

1. Backfill up behind the retaining wall in the first two photos with soil and put something on top eg rocks.

2. For the third photo I would build a sleeper wall slightly higher than the fbottom of the fence and cap the sleeper wall ontop with a sleeper so you can sit on it and put in some plants and get rid of those half shrubs.

If any of the fence is tilted your way then straighten it as you go.

This is all minor maintenance work, start in the back yard first and get some soil delivered then progress as you can afford to after securing back yard with dirt. Ask landscaping supply salesperson for their cheapest option as it may well be some gravel first and soil ontop.

Regards
Sheryn

Thank you Guys!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much to you both Sheryn and Doovalacky. I very much appreciate both your responses.

FYI, I along with couple of my mates took a bit of soil behind the retaining the wall out, pushed the wall up straight and to hold it we implanted 7 garden grills which were 1.65 cm long 2-3 feet into the ground supporting the retaining wall, and then filled the retaining wall up with thehttp://www.somersoft.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif soil in it.

The wall looks straightened now, and I can clearly point out to the council that how well these grills will hold the Retaining wall.

I am not sure whether I am explaining this properly, will upload some photographs soon to show what I have done.

Thanks again.

Back