Retirees now need nearly $50,000 per year to live comfortably

Hiya

Find out what the actual % of those over 65 is earning 50 000 or more and that will stop the argument in its tracks .

I dont have any current figures, but id suspect from demographic research I did 10 + years ago, its around 4 in 100 people.

ta
rolf

From the 2006 census from all of Australia, proportion of individuals earning more than $1300 pw before tax (~$53pa after tax).

Age - Proportion
55-64 - 11.7%
65-74 - 3.6%
75-84 - 2.5%
85+ - 2.5%

Individuals by the way not households

Hiya

my local cinema, we go with 2 kids and 2 adults, its 24 bucks worst case for tickets...............BUT its the addons

ta
Rolf

The candy bar is where the cinema industry makes it's profit. The admission fees pretty much only cover costs of film, staff etc. They do make more money on the tickets for blockbusters as the longer the film stays in cinemas, the film studio's % cut of ticket sales declines on each subsequent week.

Without the candy bar, admission tickets would be much more expensive.

I have mixed views.

Scenario 1: My mother rents for $200/week and lives by herself on the pension by being quite frugal and careful with her money. She seems comfortable enough, walks the dog in the afternoons, has a lunch down the club with the girls evry couple of weeks, and can afford to come down to Sydney every now and then. My children receive $20 from her in a card for Xmas and Birthdays. I should mention she works in a discount store for about $75/week and loves it. She is not forthcoming in complaining.

Scenario 2: My In-laws have had to sell their Reverse Mortgaged home and now rent a 4 bedroom house for @ $400week. They are both type 2 Diabetes, give my children presents EVERY time they see them and spend AT LEAST $100/person at Christmas and Birthdays on 9 Adults and 9 Grandchildren (some of which are in their 20's). Their TV is actually TOO big for their lounge room, they own every X-Box, Play STation etc, and would easily spend $200/week on groceries. They complain the longest and the loudest about how they cannot possibly live on the pension.

Are there alot of pensioners out there with their own homes, that have been living beyond their means in times of great economic growth. These pensioners now find they can't blow $100 on their Grandchildren for birthdays and Christmas and have blown their reverse mortgage on materialistic items, so that they are forced to sell their homes, and blame it on the pension?:confused:

Regards Jo

Are there alot of pensioners out there with their own homes, that have been living beyond their means in times of great economic growth.

Yes there are a lot of them.

They were living beyond their means on doodads way before they ever got to retirement - that's why they are on the pension mostly.

Back