Retiring Young

Jan finishes the story by saying "Selling up everything and donating all to the church does not provide a long-term solution to the world's welfare problems".
How true this is. BUT........................ if everyone sold up everything and donated the proceeds to moi, the world would be a much better place................for me anyway :D ;)

I don?€™t really have any equity goals, but when I make $100k net AWAY from my job, I?€™ll quit. Ultimately, the goal is $1m net income, today?€™s dollars. That would fund the ?€˜waterfront mansion in Sydney, merc 500 in the garage and first class plane tickets everywhere?€™ lifestyle goal. A bit crazy, yes, but then who would?€™ve thought any bank would lend ME a million dollars? Managed to top a mil in loans about a year ago.

Alex, I would be most interested to hear an update on where you are on your journey currently. I'm in a similar position at the moment to where you were when making this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
You retire in a wooden box aka casket.
Till then you never really retire, you just do other stuff.
Most people i know actually are more productive and efficient in their so called "retirement".
They get much more done with a lot less effort. And it's much more fun.

Would calling it "financially free" be more appropriate than retirement?
Is that pretty much living the lifestyle you desire, and not having to work for the funds if you choose not to?
Work never feels like work once you have a choice.

Is that pretty much living the lifestyle you desire, and not having to work for the funds if you choose not to?

I think it's the same concept, just different terms. If you read through the thread you will see that Alex talks about continuing with investments in his "retirement", it's just a retirement from the normal job.

But that could also mean being on the dole, as does "financially independent".

It's a very hazy concept, which is why I changed my mindset many years ago to retire=pax aeternum. Too much life to live.

Most people on 5% are presumably chasing cap growth as opposed to holding poor growth, high yield properties. They sometimes have more wealth than they realise. While you might get $X return on an investment on $Y, many people forget that their initial investment has now grown to $Y+.

By liquidating that, your $Y+ can probably generate something that sustains a retirement, with a cash inflow far greater than $X.

I would probably retire now if I can do developments without the cash flow. I'm not relying on my income to live however my income is pretty much my license to borrow. I wonder if there's a way to either borrow money without an income or perhaps buying an automated business that generates income. People may think this is not a true retirement however development to me is kinda like a game. It is definitely fun and not work.

By the way, do you play dota LoneWolf? =)

I know many hotshots will disagree with me but I think having your own business, you must be there

Unless;
You have a relative or similar who you can.i
implicitly trust
It's a well setup physically larger franchise with established systems, eg McDonald's
It's a large business with managers
It's an automated busienss eg atms, vending machines, automated car wash

Back