Reviewing my first B&P Report...questions

Hi guys,

I just got a B&P report back on a 50+ year old clad house. This is my first B&P report I've gotten done on my journey. Hence obviously lots of questions

Some of the things I noted are below:

- Property drainage is damaged and needs repair in the immediate future, sewer under building is considered a health hazard / Sewer under dwelling is broken with pooling sewer observed, this is considered to be a health hazard, sewer needs to be repaired by a plumber as a matter of priority. This appeared to be the main issue I noted. How much can it typically cost to get the drainage/sewer repaired?

- Dried termite workings observed to northern side of roof void, no activity observed, it is not uncommon for aged buildings of this type to have been exposed to termites over buildings long history, termite treatment is recommended. Is this something to worry about? Appears there is old termite damage and no active termites - as far as the inspector could tell

- The flue of the hot water unit needs to be extended to exterior of the dwelling. Would this be a costly exercise?

- No rotary extraction fan has been fitted to the roof line, it would be prudent to have a rotary extraction fan (whirlybird) fitted to the roof line. What does this mean?

- Timber pergola attached to the east side of garage is damaged and no longer fit for purpose, this detail needs reconstruction. There is just a pergola frame though damaged, to me it adds no extra rent....Would you remove a damaged pergola or would you put in the effort to get it repaired?

- If a tree in front of the house (around 2-3 meters away) has termites, can the council be requested to remove this tree?

- Laundry is internal and hence there is humidity visible on walls and needs an extension fan - how much would that typically cost?

- Rusted downpipes The guy recommends replacement in the future...Would you replace? I guess that depends how rusted it is.

- What is "putty" on windows?

I'm yet to call the inspector with questions...though the report looks pretty thorough overall.

Last edited:
The pest inspector suggests the following...

- Property drainage is damaged and needs repair in the immediate future, sewer under building is considered a health hazard / Sewer under dwelling is broken with pooling sewer observed, this is considered to be a health hazard, sewer needs to be repaired by a plumber as a matter of priority. This appeared to be the main issue I noted. How much can it typically cost to get the drainage/sewer repaired? It would be prudent to allow a budget of $5000

- The flue of the hot water unit needs to be extended to exterior of the dwelling. Would this be a costly exercise? Allow approximately $500 -$800

- Laundry is internal and hence there is humidity visible on walls and needs an extension fan - how much would that typically cost? An electrician can likely install the safety switch to electrical meter board and install fan to laundry for less than $800

- Rusted downpipes Recommended replacement in the future...Would you replace? I guess that depends how rusted it is and how soon it needs replacement Allow about $4000 for guttering, if same plumber is used to repair sewer and replace downpipes, costs would overlap and be reduced

Woah, getting the sewerage system fixed up seems incredibly pricey!!!!

So take that off the value of the house and a bit more for your effort and bid accordingly.

All looks normal for an old house to me :)

All houses have 'character' even new ones, your potential purchase would appear to have some important repairs needed though, if this wasn't well factored into the buy price and easily known before hand then putting it back to the vendor is very reasonable. Keep in mind those quotes are general guidelines from the inspector and an onsite quote might reveal more problems and expense for something underground.

These are my concerns...

- old house
- broken sewer under dwelling
- sign of dried termites
This can't be a good combination.

Are these B&P inspection guys qualified to do proper termite inspection?

Termites can't just disappear. Are there any signs of termite treatment?

I think the repair cost will go higher and higher once you open up anything in an old house.

Hi guys,

I just got a B&P report back on a 50+ year old clad house. This is my first B&P report I've gotten done on my journey. Hence obviously lots of questions

Some of the things I noted are below:

- Property drainage is damaged and needs repair in the immediate future, sewer under building is considered a health hazard / Sewer under dwelling is broken with pooling sewer observed, this is considered to be a health hazard, sewer needs to be repaired by a plumber as a matter of priority. This appeared to be the main issue I noted. How much can it typically cost to get the drainage/sewer repaired?
If there is broken pipes then you bet 100% that the entire system will need to be replaced,and even if you have the plumbing footprint layout it's would be very hard to screw down a $$$$ price because most times the more you dig the more problems you will find,plus this property may still have the old gal pipework and that is another cost factor,just work on 20k or sometimes it could be 5-9 k,but all the plumbing may need a total re-fit ,,what is the bare land
rateable value factor because that's all you would be starting from no matter what any re tells you..good luck..

Back