Ride on Lawn Mower, Ag Bike (with attachments) or 1/2 Tractor (with slasher)

Hi All,

Have bought a new property 6 acres, in the hills near Emerald, outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne. The city boy is moving to the country.

1 acre around the house, which i will use a push mower. 3 acres of grass, which i will have some goats and/or sheep and maybe a ride on mower and 2 acres of cultivated land, which i will need to churn over, cultivate. Some of the land is quite steep in parts.

So something like Kubota 1/2 Tractor 4wd.....but very expensive. I'm also worried about the thing tipping over.

Ag Bikes, four wheeler..........can you get attachments for these things to mow and cultivate?

Any suggestions????

I guess some of these Mower dealerships might lend me a demo model....?? But i only want a second hand machine

Any advice would be great

Cheers

GG

Attachments

• freedom.jpg
    freedom.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Deck.jpg
    Deck.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Not much point cultivating land just because, um, its been cultivated in the past. Especially if it involves buying a tractor. Do you have a particular purpose in mind for this bit of land?

The idea of mowing an acre with a push mower will wear off after a while too!

If you really need to cultivate, a little 4wd tractor would be good. Otherwise just get some sort of rideon that can mow everywhere.

The ride-on probably won't tip over, but it will slip on the grass going up a steeper hill - even when dry. (past experience here).

Whatever you get, make sure it is good quality, has REALLY knobby tyres and is way-overpowered than you need, otherwise it will burn out too soon.

Not much point cultivating land just because, um, its been cultivated in the past. Especially if it involves buying a tractor. Do you have a particular purpose in mind for this bit of land?

Thanks for you reply. Looking into Bulbs and lavander.

Cheers

GG

The land in those photos doesn't look that steep.
Ag Bikes, four wheeler..........can you get attachments for these things to mow and cultivate?

I haven't seen any, but then I haven't looked. I think you could forget anything with low speed and high torque requirements (ie. cultivating) for an ag bike!

I use a small John deer 4wd tractor. Its great. Has a high speed 2m mid mount deck for mowing which gives an excellent cut. Big enough to do a bit of light cultivating too. The optional front end loader is useful too.

Safety wise the 4wds are great, or even essential, if the ground is steep. They come with a roll bar and a seatbelt, though I don't want to test it out! Obviously move up and down the slope, not across. If your cultivated area is that bit in the right of the photo, you'll be quite safe!

The land in those photos doesn't look that steep.

I haven't seen any, but then I haven't looked. I think you could forget anything with low speed and high torque requirements (ie. cultivating) for an ag bike!

I use a small John deer 4wd tractor. Its great. Has a high speed 2m mid mount deck for mowing which gives an excellent cut. Big enough to do a bit of light cultivating too. The optional front end loader is useful too.

Safety wise the 4wds are great, or even essential, if the ground is steep. They come with a roll bar and a seatbelt, though I don't want to test it out! Obviously move up and down the slope, not across. If your cultivated area is that bit in the right of the photo, you'll be quite safe!

Thanks for you reply S_T

Remember, that photo of the land was taken by a Realestate agent, trying to make it look as flat as possible ;)

Can i ask what the model of you Tractor.......

Yeap, the right of the picture is the cultivated paddock but it gets steeper as it moves to the right of the picture.

Thanks

GG

Looking into Bulbs and lavander.

Cheers

GG

Might be out of date info, 2000, I worked in Yates in Laverton, spring bulbs would come in, and they would sell out, hundreds of thousands of them, couldnt get enough to supply anything like the demand,
could be a good market to be in,
but I bet you already know that,​
Good Fortune in your endeavour

It's a 955. Not mine, I just use it.

I imagine there would be a tractor or machinery forum around, where you could get a better idea of whats great and whats not!

Last edited:
Back