Ride On Mower ???

Good Afternoon

Couldnt find any threads regarding Ride on Mowers so thought I would ask around to grab a heads up on what is good and what isnt. Appreciate your positive AND negative feedback.

We now have 1.5 acres so push mowing will become too much. Im trying to get away with spending around the $3000 - $4000 mark. Something thats decent that will last, with maintenance ofcoarse, without being overkill.

So, any recommendations or bad comments with your choice?

Have been looking at McCulloch, Murray, Husqvarna & John Deere so far.

There is a Stanli (made in China) which is cheap but without a differential isn't too maneuverable.

Maybe a 21" cut, self propelled Kubota?

We have had a Toro for 10 years, they do need maintenance but all in all we are happy with it.

When we looking we noticed that some were chain driven so we avoided them, to many problems with dirt etc in the chain wearing the gears.

I would recommend buying one that has a flat floor area for your feet between the motor and the seat. Our neighbour has a smaller one that needs him to have a foot on each side of the motor as he mows and he really hates it as his feet and legs get very hot.

I've got a husqvarna that I have had for about 5 years and had no trouble at all with . I service it myself .

I think with john deere you are buying the name moreso IMO .

I'm concerned about their health effects. Does their vibrating more greatly induce lustfulness or reduce fertility?

These are the thoughts that keep me awake at night. That, and of course meerkats. They really scare me also. (What are they actually planning? :eek:)

Our ride on came with the property we bought...so I was going to suggest buying a second hand mower...it is a 1982 model "Craftsman".(from Sears)
Rob did roll it once a couple of years back (took the hill the wrong way). As soon as you get off the seat, it stops. Well, it was suppose to, except I wasn't heavy enough..and he had to adjust something for me.
We have it taken in for maintenance every couple of years.
And we need to start it with jumper cables...but other than that, it's great. :)

Since we started house sitting, he did have a chance to drive a Toro zero turn, and he thought they were great.

We had an old Greenfield, it went like a bomb, (a beauty), belt used to wear out a bit, but was relatively easy to replace, and did a power of work, no bowling green stuff, mongrel weeds and grass growth, sometimes stones and stumps in the hard to see cover, went through a power of blades but it was a beauty, I loved it. It and I got on just fine, and it would bowl along at great pace. Gear to left for level of cut, pedal down for fwd, heel down to reverse, and did I mention how 'quick' it was? Nice neat finish.

Got a new $14,000ish new Kubota, and it's got fancy little things, nicks and nacks, just about makes you a cup of tea-rubbish, and it's as slow as a wet week. It and I don't get along at all, (Mr OO is fine with it though).

I want my old faithful Greenfield back.

Push mowers, I buy Victas, all I've ever had, and they go like bombs and take a pizzling and very little go wrong, (my experience), I get the next up from bottom basic, not interested in any other breed.

Greenfield and Victas. And Coronas to follow.

If you have lots of trees and other things to mow around, a zero turn mower is great. But then zero turn mowers are usually a lot more expensive. Not sure if you'd get one for anywhere near $4,000?

See ya's.

I have a Husqvarna that cost $2900 and it does a great job.
I very nearly went for a Cox as they are built tough....but that also comes with a 'tough' ride and much smaller front wheels that I'm sure would make turning much harder.

I also fitted the mulching plate and once you get the grass tamed to height every time you mow there are no rows of grass to pick up or see left on the lawn. These mulchings also feed the lawn.

The major mistake people make is they think these mowers are tractors. You do need to stay out of the rocks and stumps & bumps etc. ;)

Thanks everyone

Just went down to the local mower shop and he has a used Bad Boy Mower, just 6 months old, they are zero turn, 27hp Briggs and Stratton motor, for $4000.

That seems bloudy good. They are american. Anyone heard of them?

Good Afternoon

Couldnt find any threads regarding Ride on Mowers so thought I would ask around to grab a heads up on what is good and what isnt. Appreciate your positive AND negative feedback.

We now have 1.5 acres so push mowing will become too much. Im trying to get away with spending around the $3000 - $4000 mark. Something thats decent that will last, with maintenance ofcoarse, without being overkill.

Ride on mowers cop a lot of abuse, and wear out parts just when you don't want them to. (we used to have a 5 acre property with about half an acre of nature strip as well).

So, make sure you buy a brand which is very well known, and easy to get parts for locally in your area. Drive belts, bearings, blades are the main things.

This will mean paying a premium for the right mower in the first place most likely, so don't scrimp in this area.

A cheap Chinese no-name brand is bound to bite you on the @rse just when you finish your first run down the paddock.

Thanks everyone

Just went down to the local mower shop and he has a used Bad Boy Mower, just 6 months old, they are zero turn, 27hp Briggs and Stratton motor, for $4000.

That seems bloudy good. They are american. Anyone heard of them?

Look up the local dealership for parts and serviceing.

I'll wager that's why he is selling it.

Back