Ringwood?

Would like to hear your thoughts about the suburb of Ringwood in Melbourne's east?
It will be my first investment property, seems quite affordable and always appears in one of the hotspots to look out for.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Would like to hear your thoughts about the suburb of Ringwood in Melbourne's east?
It will be my first investment property, seems quite affordable and always appears in one of the hotspots to look out for.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

It's a bit out of the way but it's an alright area. It's helped that it's now Zone 2.

Get a good bread and butter villa walking distance to train & eastland. Long term you will not go wrong. You can survive well living there without a car, as everything in this hub is walking distance. If you have a car bonus as you have eastlink and box hill on your door step.

Market is slow now, so you can pick up great ones for around 330k if you're lucky. Rent for around $280.

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately as i'm not a millionaire with mountains of money to be able to buy a house in Brighton or Toorak i think Ringwood is a good starting place.
It is very central with some very nice pockets.

Do you think we overcomplicate things when we are in the process of looking for our first investment property?
Of course doing research and learning as much as we can is important but i don's want 1000's of areas going round and round in my head.

It's simple.....this is my budget and this is where will get the best bang for my buck.

Chloe that's a fine strategy. Just be wary because these days lots of people buy 'what they can afford', not what is a good investment decision, out of frustration of missing out on properties.

Market is slow now, so you can pick up great ones for around 330k if you're lucky. Rent for around $280.

With returns like that, whats the incentive to buy that property? Is Ringwood and surrounds heavily discounted compared to before the slump with huge gains to be re-made in the future?

I have/had a few unit IP's in Ringwood.

I also used to live there for a number of years and still work here.

There is a huge amount of development planned/commencing in Ringwood over the next few years.

Eastland is getting a massive renovation including an extra 28,000sqm of retail space. An eight story hotel on top (like the novotel in Glen Waverly)

Costco is going in at Ringwood Square.

$60million station upgrade.

Eastlink head office/cadbury factory/peter stevens/Mcdonalds etc all have invested heavily in the area over the last few years.

Land value is expensive. Any house/block with land for development is $$$.

I prefer the older style units in a block of 4 within 1-2 km of Eastland/station.

You can get one for 330-380K which will rent for $290-$340.

I jump of eastlink and hit Hoddle St in 12 mins.

Ringwood is surrounded by great family areas such as Ringwood North, Croydon Hills, Warrenwood, Park Orchards. All of whom venture to Ringwood to use its facilities.

With returns like that, whats the incentive to buy that property? Is Ringwood and surrounds heavily discounted compared to before the slump with huge gains to be re-made in the future?

Those units were sitting at 400K early last year. They took a hit now back to 2009 prices.

I brought a couple back in 2007 for 200K sold them early last year for 395 and 405K.

I think you would do well grabbing them now.

Maybe take a look at Nunawading too?

I agree with you about Ringwood. Eastlink and the station make it worthwhile. If you can afford Nunawading I personally think it's a better bet for capital growth. The underground station has made a big difference to the area and of course you have great access to the freeway.

It is the next suburb along from Blackburn and the prices there have gone wild. Nunawading isn't too far away from the private school belt ie Kew with good access.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on and remember that property is a longer term investment. Buy in good location and sit tight! Cheers

Is that by car or slicing the trafiic jam at the exit by bike? :D

The Y-man

Haha no by car. I do the drive at least 5-10 times per week and I admit in peak hours it will slow to maybe 20-25 but every other time its 12-13 mins. Unless that estimated travel time sign is telling porkies? :eek:

I agree with you about Ringwood. Eastlink and the station make it worthwhile. If you can afford Nunawading I personally think it's a better bet for capital growth. The underground station has made a big difference to the area and of course you have great access to the freeway.

It is the next suburb along from Blackburn and the prices there have gone wild. Nunawading isn't too far away from the private school belt ie Kew with good access.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on and remember that property is a longer term investment. Buy in good location and sit tight! Cheers

Thats why Ringwood is such a good buy. That ripple effect is builing up and being held by the Eastlink boundary, give it a while and it will burst into Ringwood like a dam wall exploding......:D

It is the next suburb along from Blackburn and the prices there have gone wild.

Blackburn has the advantage of a much better rail service

Yes, I agree with you but it's going to hit Nunawading and Mitcham first so it you can afford to buy in those areas it might be a better bet. Who knows? So much about property investment is research followed by lots of luck! Cheers

Blackburn has the advantage of a much better rail service

Please explain this one?

It is on the same line and as along as you live between Box Hill and Ringwood you get most of the limited expresses.

Only the difference with Blackburn is you have the all station trains in the morning starting there but most want to catch the express anyway.

Last edited:
Please explain this one?

It is on the same line and as along as you live between Box Hill and Ringwood you get most of the limited expresses.

Only the difference with Blackburn is you have the all station trains in the morning starting there but most what to catch the express anyway.
Yes, I was wondering the same thing.

Yes Blackburn is a great area but it's a lot more expensive. Ringwood has a lot more amenities although Blackburn has the beautiful tree lined streets etc.

Back