Ringwood?

I site in Ringwood that was 2000sqm with an old house (un-livable) with plans and permits for a 6 unit development was sold last month.

The previous owner brought it in 2010 for 620K, did nothing but spend 35K for the permit and sold last mouth for 1.15 Million....:)

Please explain this one?

It is on the same line and as along as you live between Box Hill and Ringwood you get most of the limited expresses.

Only the difference with Blackburn is you have the all station trains in the morning starting there but most want to catch the express anyway.

Yes, you're right: there are extra trains that start at Blackburn but I hadn't appreciated that they're all station ones - I guess the one advantage is that you're guaranteed a seat - I do the reverse journey on Tuesdays, SX to Heatherdale, out in the morning back in the evening which is a different pattern.

http://tt.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/tt/XSLT_TTB_REQUEST?command=direct&language=en&outputFormat=0&net=vic&line=02BEL&project=ttb&itdLPxx_selLineDir=H&sup=C

I live just out from Ringwood and would say it is a great spot to invest.

Right near Eastlink, Eastland, transport (Belgrave and Lilydale lines come in/out) is good, you've got a primary school right in the heart and a high school. During the day it's only about 40mins to the city and the same to Frankston using Eastlink.

If you buy say, a 3 bedroom house you're looking at $350-$400k or so and depending on which part of Ringwood (and obviously the presentation etc) would probably lease between $330-$370 per week for a basic family home. Nice two bedroom units usually lease for high $200's or low $300's.

There is heaps of expensive private schools in the area also.

Yarra Valley Grammer, Tintern, Southwood, Aquinus, Luther Collage, Oxley College, Billanook, Whitefaires.

Year 12 at Yarra Valley Grammer is 22K this year :eek:

What would be he most ideal property in terms of land size facilities and location for ringwood

Does anyone know what the minimum land size is to go dual occ. under the council regs?

Cheers

One big downer for me is that its not near the bay and there's more people that like Port Phillip Bay than hate it.
Have you considered mordy, Aspendale, Edithvale near the train and shops?

What would be he most ideal property in terms of land size facilities and location for ringwood

Does anyone know what the minimum land size is to go dual occ. under the council regs?

Cheers

I can tell you for a fact you can buy an older house in Mitcham on a large block for less than you can buy a new unit or townhouse on the same site after re-development.

Older houses regularly sell for less than $600k. New townhouses regularly sell for more than $700k. If you're looking to go dual occ it's an excellent area.

I can't tell you what the minimum land size is, but there's no trouble dividing a 700sqm block into two. There are a lot of green overlays in the area, which can affect a lot of properties.

I'd second that some areas or Ringwood are itching to go up. It is a major hub, lots of development and easy access to the city and the rest of the east.

The Bay is nice, but the SE suburbs are heavier on traffic and harder to access. A lot of outter east suburbs have a nice 'bush' feel which is nice two (one of the big ticks for Mitcham).

Living in Mitcham I'm also a little bias. There's no way I'd live in the crowed inner suburbs.

What about surrounding suburbs eg Wantirna. Are they down as well? Seem to be far more expensive than Ringwood

I can tell you for a fact you can buy an older house in Mitcham on a large block for less than you can buy a new unit or townhouse on the same site after re-development.

Older houses regularly sell for less than $600k. New townhouses regularly sell for more than $700k. If you're looking to go dual occ it's an excellent area.

I can't tell you what the minimum land size is, but there's no trouble dividing a 700sqm block into two. There are a lot of green overlays in the area, which can affect a lot of properties.

I'd second that some areas or Ringwood are itching to go up. It is a major hub, lots of development and easy access to the city and the rest of the east.

The Bay is nice, but the SE suburbs are heavier on traffic and harder to access. A lot of outter east suburbs have a nice 'bush' feel which is nice two (one of the big ticks for Mitcham).

Living in Mitcham I'm also a little bias. There's no way I'd live in the crowed inner suburbs.

Hey PT,

Thanks for the response. What would be our pick areas / streets for mitchem?
BTW, I will most likely contact you in the near future for some lending advice.

For dual occ i would be looking minimum 600 sqm.

Cheers

Haha no by car. I do the drive at least 5-10 times per week and I admit in peak hours it will slow to maybe 20-25 but every other time its 12-13 mins. Unless that estimated travel time sign is telling porkies? :eek:

eastlink linked to the eastern freeway to hoddle st ? 12-13 minutes. i stay around doncaster off blackburn road and drive to the city quite often at various times and no way it is 12-13 minutes. it would be 45min-1 hour btw 7:45-9am with traffic. any other time it would be a decent 20-25 minutes.

Park and Ride from Doncaster to Hoddle Street is less than 15 minutes in peak times

We drove through today (Sunday) early afternoon and from Ringwood Tunnel to Nicholson Street, Fitzroy took about 20 minutes - mainly because the road surface was being vacuum cleaned (I kid you not!) along Alexander Parade

If we had exit at Hoddle Street the travel time would have been less than 15 minutes

A single passenger motor vehicle commute is wasteful and expensive. Ringwood to CBD can be achieved efficiently and inexpensively

Chloe: Ringwood has been poised to enjoy significant capital growth for years. And years. The freeway hasn't done it, Eastland hasn't done it - I'm not sure what would prompt the explosive growth so long anticipated

But my own opinion of Ringwood is that it is a great spot for all sorts of reasons, but is dissected by many roads, rail lines, freeways, commercial and industrial areas. Ringwood suffers from a personality dysfunction but despite that, it still manages to be a very good place to live for those who have a reason to live there

My experience of neighbouring areas are that dollar for dollar, some may produce surprisingly stronger capital growth (sorry, clumsy sentence - oils ain't oils and Ringwood has no monopoly on growth)

This leads me to ponder that perhaps when we are right up against the coal face of transport, employment, shopping etc that we would rather be somewhere else?

The tenants of my property in Ringwood have always stayed a long time and have all been very happy in the property and in the location, however I would not say that I get any particular strength in the rent (good but not great) whereas property at Kilsyth gets surprisingly strong rent and growth at least as good as the property in Ringwood has achieved over the past ten years

You are on the right track: Buy what you can afford and rent where you want to live. You cover both requirements and are best able to afford the 'heart buyer's' mistake of 'falling in love' with a property and then paying more than you can sensibly afford just because you liked the look of the place

Buying for investment involves a much simpler set of parameters of which 'do I like it, can I afford it, and will it match the lounge suite' come in way down the list of points to consider

Enjoy the journey and make sure you actually to go Open for Inspections, not just surf the net from the computer. You may be very surprised what you can find once you actually get out there

Cheers
Kristine

Park and Ride from Doncaster to Hoddle Street is less than 15 minutes in peak times

We drove through today (Sunday) early afternoon and from Ringwood Tunnel to Nicholson Street, Fitzroy took about 20 minutes - mainly because the road surface was being vacuum cleaned (I kid you not!) along Alexander Parade

driving on sunday is peak time? try it on wednesday morning at 8am.
i just went to fitzroy north off blackburn rd and to get to the intersection of hoddle took 20 minutes at least.
well maybe some ppl speed who knows.

I've lived in Mitcham for 10 years and now in Vermont. I regularly go to Ringwood as it's about 5 minutes away.

I guess the thing with these areas for me is that they really are very central.
At the drop of a hat i can decide to go to Doncaster, Knox, Eastland, Glen Waverley and of course my fave Chaddy.
Brunswick St was a normal weekly outing for beaky, straight down the Eastern as well as the city.

I'm not saying it's 3 minutes from the city but it's certainly a very easy run that doesn't take long at all.

Kristine, i have noticed that the Ringwwod rent is not fantastic but i'm surprised about Kilsyth as they don't seem to have as much there and it's considerably further out. I'll check it out as well as Croydon if my money can't buy me Ringwood.

Thanks!

driving on sunday is peak time? try it on wednesday morning at 8am.
i just went to fitzroy north off blackburn rd and to get to the intersection of hoddle took 20 minutes at least.
well maybe some ppl speed who knows.

Haven't you got a life size dummy to sit in your passenger seat so you can use the transit lane? Failing that, you pick someone up at a city bound bus stop :D

The Y-man

Old Nunawading Primary School site on Springvale Road

Hey, does anyone know what's going to happen to the old school site on Sprinvale Road in Nunawading? The beautiful new school is up and running in Junction road. Maybe there will some land opening up on the site. Gee, how I'd love a piece of that!

Hi All,

I was looking at buying a unit in Ringwood and was wondering what area's/streets would you guys recommond?

What are the good and bad areas in Ringwood if any??

Thanks for your help in Advance

Carlito

Doesn't look like anyone's getting a piece just yet according to this here => http://www.melbourneweeklyeastern.c...p-nunawading-primary-school-land/2486622.aspx

As a local resident, I have no issue with the land being used for residential land but the old hall should be kept for community groups.

Most of the land should be sold for residential land to pay for the new school and other services for the community.

I have walked pasted the school number of times and divided it in my head, it is the only logical.

We do not need a new park. There is a big park backing on to it all ready. It does not need to be bigger.

Residents worried about change should think what is in the best interest of the community and not out of fear.

Back