Rodent bait

Hi, I've had a quote from a pest company for $250 to bait a roof space for rats.

Is this a job I could do myself? I mean, I can easily get into the roof space and throw bait around, I presume I can get bait from a shop - or is there more science to this?

Thanks

JB

It is something you could do yourself, a couple of packs of Bromokill or ratsak in wax blocks spread around the ceiling. Revisit next day to top up the ones which have been consumed. Revisit next day & top up. Revisit 2-3 days later to top up. Revisit a week later to tidy up (remove rotting corpses) & seal up any access points.

Why can't you just leave them to hang out in your roof? Rats are cute and they don't eat much.

Tv1jBNN.jpg

Definitely something you can do yourself if you are able to access the roof space and are comfortable crawling around up there.

However, does the $250 fee come with a guarantee that the rats will be gone? Will the pest control company keep coming back until the job is done? If yes, then it might be $250 well spent.

Do it yourself for well under $250. Tomcat bait station. Bunnings sold it, but it may have a different name now.

We had a serious problem with rats in one of our IP's a few years ago. Cost us a fortune with the pest guy as he couldn't get rid of them and the rotting corpses remained in the roof and the poor tenants had maggots falling through the light fittings. YUK.

Got hold of a Tomcat bait station and bait, from memory about $50 and placed it outside on top of a fence near the palm trees and pergola where the rats would enter the roof to have their parties, especially when it rained.

The tenant had to replace the bait daily for the first week and then weekly, now probably every 3 months. No more rat parties in the roof. The tenants didn't notice any dead rats in the yard either.

We discovered the rats had built their home under a pool in a neighbouring yard. If the bait didn't work, the council was our next point of call.

Sunshine

Do it yourself for well under $250. Tomcat bait station. Bunnings sold it, but it may have a different name now.

We had a serious problem with rats in one of our IP's a few years ago. Cost us a fortune with the pest guy as he couldn't get rid of them and the rotting corpses remained in the roof and the poor tenants had maggots falling through the light fittings. YUK.

Got hold of a Tomcat bait station and bait, from memory about $50 and placed it outside on top of a fence near the palm trees and pergola where the rats would enter the roof to have their parties, especially when it rained.

The tenant had to replace the bait daily for the first week and then weekly, now probably every 3 months. No more rat parties in the roof. The tenants didn't notice any dead rats in the yard either.

We discovered the rats had built their home under a pool in a neighbouring yard. If the bait didn't work, the council was our next point of call.

Sunshine

Thanks! I'll have a look for that product.

JB

Back