Roller Door - Garage Door Heights?

Garages & carport costs?

We are looking at a prospective PPOR & would need to add car accom as there is currently only shade sails.
If we were to put up a double carport (those metal flat roof ones) and brick the front piers in - would this be able to support a roller door on the front?
Anyone have an idea of what doing this would cost as opposed to borrowing extra & building a double garage?

Cheers
Stella

Last edited:
The garage door is actually self-supporting on the internal steel tube along its centre axis. It is mounted with end mounting brackets to the front wall either side of the opening. It runs in U-shaped tracks down either side of the opening on the front wall. You just need to make sure the wall at the front can take the weight at each of the supporting brackets, but that should be a no brainer. The wall above the opening will need a sill so it doesn't sag, but it doesn't need to be load bearing for the door.

I'm contemplating doing precisely this with my single carport. Enclose the side walls and shove a single garage door across the front. On eBay second hand ones go for about $200. My single carport cost me $1300 new from Buyashed online. Good mob who are easy to deal with and good value IMHO.

Cheers,
Michael

a single brick wall is decorative only and not really load bearing
approx 240Kg hanging with a load center 55cm from such a single brick wall, breaks the wall.
Remember the kids whose father hang a basketball hoop from the brick garage wall, a few too many dunks and the wall fell, on em.
A brick wall is immensly strong in compression, off center weight means the side opposite the weight is being lifted, and mortar joints are not strong in tension.
the 'right' install kit for your wall includes down braces from the door hubs to the floor and eliminates torque on the wall.

How do I know
mistake is not stupid
Stupid is making the same mistake, again​

We didnt go anywhere with this. We kept looking (again) and have now decided we give up trying to find the 'perfect' place & are going to build instead!

Signed this morning on a block so hopefully now selling ppor will go smoothly & we can move on & build something we will be happy with.

Sorry I cant give any info re the garage door heights etc

Cheers
Stella

Back