Roof leak - Waterproof membrane worn

Hi all,

My IP has a roof leak, we had a couple of contractors came in and provide a quote and it's coming up with $52k and $70k. I was wondering if it's over the top.

My IP is located on the top floor of a 3 storey walk up. The building is about 7 years old. The contractor advised that the waterproof membrane is worn and the concrete roof has cracks (as shown in the pictures)

Are the quotes above reasonable? Is it that big a job? Can anyone recommend any good/reliable roofer?

And what's the best ways of preventing or reducing the chance of the waterproof membrane to wear out?

Thanks for anyone's help in advance :D

ash

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 104
Get them to give you a precise breakdown of works and costings of each element and PM them to me with more photos.

My father is the pro at this type of stuff (flat concrete roofing systems are everywhere in Greece, and one of the family IPs here in the NT is like that also) so I'll run your job past him.

In general though, I think that those prices look shockingly high. My Scrooge McOceanness is having an epileptic

Hi all,

My IP has a roof leak, we had a couple of contractors came in and provide a quote and it's coming up with $52k and $70k. I was wondering if it's over the top.

My IP is located on the top floor of a 3 storey walk up. The building is about 7 years old. The contractor advised that the waterproof membrane is worn and the concrete roof has cracks (as shown in the pictures)

Are the quotes above reasonable? Is it that big a job? Can anyone recommend any good/reliable roofer?

And what's the best ways of preventing or reducing the chance of the waterproof membrane to wear out?

Thanks for anyone's help in advance :D

ash

thats not worn ,thats defective .scrape back the "worn bits" and get welded bitumen paper laid over the existing floor .

Hi arms,

That's what the contractor who came for the quote suggested. I was just wondering if the prices quoted are reasonable or if it's worth to shop around a bit more.

oh and Ocean Architect, tried to PM you but your inbox is full :p

I calculated the approximate roof surface area. It's about 475 - 480 sqm. No one have the exact measurements and the plan on my contract is a bit blurry. I just added all the 4 units on the top floor and add the common property.

And the "concrete cancer" is just cracks on the roof for now. They advise that if untreated it can cause structural problems.

Thanks.

Requesting recommendation!

Calling all builders and handy...person:D

After many temp fixes, engineers inspections, etc etc we finally came up a fix for the roof leak issue we've had. Below are the options to fix the roof (the 3 best one I reckon, some of the quotes we had goes into $150k-$180k mark :( )

Question is which option is the best for longevity and endurance. My guess is option 1 but the price might put off the rest of the body corporate members. Would option 2 be the next best?

Currently, the roof is a flat concrete roof with almost non existent waterproof membrane, not enough water outlets, porous parapet walls, gaps around the sky light and pooling issue (I think those are the major problems listed by the engineer hehe)

Option 1
$99,370 inc GST
- Supply and install scaffold to OH&S requirements
- Remove skylights and reinstate clear sheet to openings once roof is in place
- Supply and install timber roof structure strapped down to roof slab
- Supply and install new colour bond roof sheets including insulation
- Supply and install new box gutter and whirly birds for ventilation
- Supply and install capping to top of brick parapet walls
- Remove all rubbish and debris

Option 2
$76,850 plus GST
- To install 2 new outlets with rainwater heads connecting to the existing.
- To carry out a fully framed roof construction with the pitch to fall towards the outlets.
- To construct a box gutter system 500mm x 300mm to the entire area ensuring water falls out towards the outlets.
- To lay .04mm roof sheeting to the entire roof with associated capping and clear sheeting over the skylights with exposed colour bond beams.
- To tie down and mechanically fix the skylights down then seal all penetrations.
- To leave site clean.

Option 3
$79,900 plus GST
- To install 2 new outlets with rainwater heads connecting to the existing.
- To apply a cementitious stormwater system topping to the entire roof ensuring water runoff to all outlets.
- To apply 3 coats of UV liquid membrane to the entire area in accordance with the manufacturer's specification across the entire roof, all up turns and up the parapet wall.
- To install a colour bond capping to the entire parapet wall which will extend 200mm from the face up the wall across the top and down to
100mm from the rooftop.
- To tie down and mechanically fix the skylights down then seal all penetrations.
- To pressure seal all vent pipes etc.
- To leave site clean.

Back