rotary hoe

hi guys

i have just built a house and i want to do something with the yard. at the moment it is like hard dry clay, so i am thinking about hiring a rotary hoe to churn up the soil and then get some top soil delivered to spread on top, then spread grass seeds.

i have never used a rotary hoe and just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to use them or advice on what to hire.

thanks

Josh

Yes hire one they are very easy to use, very similar to a lawn mower but depending on size you need they are a lot heavier. Similar rules apply to, put you hand in the wrong position and you will lose it

How big is your backyard?

Jezza

be sure of your soil underneath first...pointless turning it over if there is actually clay underneath..........double check the whole yard.....

what id do i add clay breaker ie: gypsum, top soil with loam and granite then turf....bit of work but good preparation will reap the best rewards.........

clay is putrid stuff...........

a hand type machine hoe if the ground is super hard may not work well anyway.

good luck.

Have a good read of this thread before you go ripping through the clay and then just laying some top soil down, especially if you are growing seed. Your lawn will most likely need enormous amounts of water just to stay alive, and even then will probably fail.

Follwo the guide in here and dig through lots and ltos of organic soil, don't bother with top soil sprinkled over the top. And as for gypsum, will have little effect for a long time.

Best to do it right from the start ......

http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21938

Back