Rude Real Estate Agents.

I just had a "What The" moment with a Real Estate Agent.

Hubby had booked in a couple of properties for inspections on Sunday and I didn't like the times he had booked as I had to work. I rang the Agent last night & left a message on his voicemail to please call me in regards to the time of the inspection.

At around 10 am this morning I rang him back & said that I had left a message & I really needed to change the time of the viewing. He said, "Well I turn my phone off at night", to which I said that I was aware of that, that's why I left a message. "Did you get my message?" He replys "No, it's my day off. I don't check my messages." "Ok", I say, "well I really need to change the time of the appointment." He then says that he can't make the appointment either because he has to take his wife to the airport. I ask when he was going to let me know and that Hubby had only booked it last night. He said that he would have probably let me know tonight & then he has the gall to ask my why I'm acting all shirty.

Well, I had been quite nice up until that point. I said that I had been on the phone all morning trying to re-arrange my work, so I could fit in his appointment, of which he wasn't going to be there and hadn't had the decency to let me know, as soon as he knew, that he couldn't do it. Then he lets fly on me. Telling me off in no uncertain terms and asking why it is any of my concern anyway what he does on his day off.

I hung up on him after letting him know that he is NOT the only Real Estate Agent available and I most certainly WON"T be purchasing any property through him.

I feel for you. I've had extremely shiet experiences as well with REA, especially in Canberra where they think they run the whole show. They even lied to us about what the owners wanted(i know because i spoke to the owners directly)

I feel for you. I've had extremely shiet experiences as well with REA, especially in Canberra where they think they run the whole show. They even lied to us about what the owners wanted(i know because i spoke to the owners directly)

Sounds like Canberra REAs to me... The trick is to remember they aren't your friend.

Interesting....hope they don't behave like this in the current market!

I have a a way of dealing with agents like this.....I tell them "get st%^ffed" and simply hang up!

David, very funny....

:p

wasnt the 1 i was thinking off... i was thinking of A.Hole..

never the less they both work for Wayne Kerr.

LMAO. :D

It sometimes pisses me off a little when you cop a rude agent but I only really feel sorry for the vendor, they have no idea this is happening and probarbly think that the agent is out there doing their best to sell your premises, whilst this is hardly ever really true like you think r hope it would be,

In my recent experience Id say that I thought around 50% of the agents I saw werent doing a very good job on selling their customers product, the main reason being attitudes like 'take it or leave it' and 'no, I wont do an inspection with you, wait until saturday' many never even called me back.

I just had a "What The" moment with a Real Estate Agent.

Hubby had booked in a couple of properties for inspections on Sunday and I didn't like the times he had booked as I had to work. I rang the Agent last night & left a message on his voicemail to please call me in regards to the time of the inspection.

At around 10 am this morning I rang him back & said that I had left a message & I really needed to change the time of the viewing. He said, "Well I turn my phone off at night", to which I said that I was aware of that, that's why I left a message. "Did you get my message?" He replys "No, it's my day off. I don't check my messages." "Ok", I say, "well I really need to change the time of the appointment." He then says that he can't make the appointment either because he has to take his wife to the airport. I ask when he was going to let me know and that Hubby had only booked it last night. He said that he would have probably let me know tonight & then he has the gall to ask my why I'm acting all shirty.

Well, I had been quite nice up until that point. I said that I had been on the phone all morning trying to re-arrange my work, so I could fit in his appointment, of which he wasn't going to be there and hadn't had the decency to let me know, as soon as he knew, that he couldn't do it. Then he lets fly on me. Telling me off in no uncertain terms and asking why it is any of my concern anyway what he does on his day off.

I hung up on him after letting him know that he is NOT the only Real Estate Agent available and I most certainly WON"T be purchasing any property through him.

The problem with not just this industry, but many industries, is the people in it are trained to do their actual JOB, but they are often very poorly trained in customer relations and people skills.

Stuff like follow-up, time management, prioritising, empathy, listening skills etc.

Sounds like your man needs a few classes.

Hi Skater.

If you are looking in your usual 'hunting ground', you would know a few agents. Perhaps mention this agents treatment of you to them.

Word slowly gets around and karma has it's day.

Regards
Marty

The "reactions" on this forum to what seems to be a communication problem between two people are very interesting!

Bet he is on an agent's forum and the "reactions" there are how dare a purchser ring you on a day off and demand that you do something! :p;)

What is the solution here? Not to ever buy any properties from that agent ever ever again! Never!!! Good one!!:rolleyes:

How can a RE agent being rude be interpreted as a 'communication problem'?

I dealt with a similar agent years ago when i was trying to buy some land in a NSW regional town.

When he was rude on the phone and then didnt return my calls i went to the council to find the owner of the land. I made him an offer and bought from him privately.

(their agreement had expired but still had the sign out the front, albeit just about fallen over)

Without the agents commission we easily come to a great price both of us were happy with and i sold the land 18 months later for 150%. profit:) after being too busy at the time to develop it.

The above should happen to all rude agents.

Did you read Skaters initial post? Its all in there.

Beside that, i know a couple of agents and they have Sunday and a weekday off every week. Usually Thursday. They mostly keep their phone on to take calls on their off days.

If the agent in questions doesn't want to take calls on his day off he should turn his phone off or get another one for private use. He doesn't have to be obnoxious.

Again, where is the communication breakdown?

Good point... without hearing the tone of voice or the other side of the story, I can't really make comment.

I am unit hunting at the moment, and have come across a few that have no answers to any of my questions, its a straight, Don't know.
There has been one or two, who present the property very well, talk about the good things about the property and do follow up phone calls. I have taken their cards, and definitely will pass it around.
If they don't like their job, as it certainly shows, find another one.

If the agent in questions doesn't want to take calls on his day off he should turn his phone off or get another one for private use. He doesn't have to be obnoxious.QUOTE]

Here's some options. Divert the phone to another agent. Leave a message with the alternate contacts details. Answer the phone and politely advise the person that it is your day off however here are the details of my colleague...

So many options, so little effort.

Regards

Andrew

Back