Sacrafices as an investor

The exact thing happened to a friend of mine. Enduro and motorcross was his only hobby and the only thing he really enjoyed but as soon as he was married his wife made him stop and sell his bikes (even though she still continued her pottery).

He is still saying he will soon get back into enduro racing more than 6 years later.

I don't get the point of sharing your life with some-one else if as a result you have to give up your dreams and passions.:confused: And why do people agree to give things up??!

I know about that prssure from another angle. When I got together with Michael he was car racing. People (both men and women) put pressure on me to put pressure on him to give it up. I asked them why I should ask him to be a different person to the one I met and was attracted to? If I didn't want to go out with a racing driver I could have just picked another guy.

Last edited:
We all keep asking him why he doesn't just buy a new bike and start riding again but his answer is that it is easier not to make waves - she is a very headstrong woman who would make anyone's life a misery if challenged. Also, now that they have two young boys, he has to stay home with them while she does her thing with her pottery group or dog shows because she stays home with them during the week when he is at work.

Funnily enough his motorbike riding was the one thing she was really attracted to about him when they first met and she was very supportive and went to all his comps etc.

I don't get the point of sharing your life with some-one else if as a result you have to give up your dreams and passions.:confused: And why do people agree to give things up??!

I know about that prssure from another angle. When I got together with Michael he was car racing. People (both men and women) out pressure on me to put pressure on him to give it up. I asked them why I should ask him to be a different person to the one I met and was attracted to? If I didn't want to go out with a racing driver I could have just picked another guy.

Exactly, GoAnna!!!!! If you didn't want a 'bike rider' or 'racing driver' or 'partner who goes away a lot' (in my case), surely you wouldn't deliberately choose one in the first place!!! And whatever makes people think they the right to attempt to change someone else is, frankly, beyond my comprehension! :eek:

Cheers
LynnH

Arhhh....sacrifices. Just can't think of them without thinking of the opportunities I've had along the IP journey.

I've gone without the annual trips o/s, plasma telly, new/replacement car, bottles of good vintage champers, etc.

What have I gained in terms of opportunities? "The Beach House", whinging tenants, truckloads of bookkeeping, being on SS, learning how to use the Ryobi and making bookshelves, landscaping (with accompanying slipped finger tendons), investment knowledge, incompetent PM's (and learning how to sack them), and a really sound and stable financial future (won't have to work at work too much longer).

Would I swap my sacrifices for my opportunities? Not blOOdy likely!:D

The exact thing happened to a friend of mine. Enduro and motorcross was his only hobby and the only thing he really enjoyed but as soon as he was married his wife made him stop and sell his bikes (even though she still continued her pottery).

He is still saying he will soon get back into enduro racing more than 6 years later.

Hate to say it, but more fool him for giving in to this type of rubbish. It sounds like it was the beginning of a slippery slope for him. One day she will wonder why he has changed from the man she married.

I know a couple like this, and things don't look good for their marriage.

was thinking the same myself ...

Know a few of them as well.

Have asked hubby to cut his back a bit (adventure racing) - but was because within the last few months he's gone overboard and increased to far more than anything before (10 weekends away in a row, whereas previously would have been every second weekend at the most). Not so much a financial thing but an I actually want to see him thing (even though we do the same events together we race on different teams).

Have seen a lot of guys disapear from the scene once they end up with gf's or married. Very sad.

In terms of sacrifices - we haven't given up much. We're a bit more constricted, but not in a bad way (previously - wanting more gear=buying more gear, whereas now there is a do I really need it component of thought)

Back