safety of downlights

Was thinking of changing to downlights/recessed lights for the ground floor of a two storey house but was told by a person who did my pre-purchase inspection that downlights there would be a potential fire hazard.

I seem to recall some reno'd houses have downlights on ground floor ceiling.

What are your experiences?

You could look at LED downlights i havent looked at them myself but will be when we do our next mini project at home.

They are much much cooler than the standard downlight and as such are much safer and use less power

Always buy the best possible unit you can and ensure that not only is suitable for the location (i.e does it have enough space around it between floors) and installed by a licensed electrican (you do not want the insulation to sit on it).

We have them, and they are a pain in the neck. Because of the type of insulation we have, we regularly get some smoke, and the downlights blow out so regularly or else go flicker on and off. I would avoid them like the plague.
Pen

Our sparky would not install them in our lower floor. We put in nice lights, but have changed them a few times as our tastes have changed.

There are so many nice DIY lights these days, that whenever we get electrical work done, we tend to just get a batten holder fitted and then we can change light fittings for $20 upwards without a sparky involved.

There are downlights using 240v, Energy Saving lights. We just intalled them in our new kitchen. They are great. And I'm sure they don't heat as much.

There are so many nice DIY lights these days, that whenever we get electrical work done, we tend to just get a batten holder fitted and then we can change light fittings for $20 upwards without a sparky involved.

Yes - you can change them, but not legally. DIY does not exist for home handyman Electricians. Nothing gets to me greater than people who think they can do anything without any regard to human life. There is always the
WHAT IF factor to be looked into.

Licensed Electrician in the State of NSW.

Get quality 12v lamps and make sure there are electronic transformers, not the coil ones that heat up. LED down lights are the go these days.

Railglider, Wylie means she gets the sparkie to install batten holders and she can change the fitting in the batten holder with no sparkie needed. Not the batten holder.

Licensed Electrical contractor in the State of NSW. (in another life)

just get the fluoro low energy ones. get a sparky to fit them in. Done like maybe 100-200 downlight installs in renos. Never had an issue. it's those halogen downlights that poses a fire threat.

Yes - you can change them, but not legally. DIY does not exist for home handyman Electricians. Nothing gets to me greater than people who think they can do anything without any regard to human life. There is always the
WHAT IF factor to be looked into.

Licensed Electrician in the State of NSW.

Yes you can. These simply slip over the batten. You don't touch anything electrical. They are sold as DIY because they simply cover the batten holder.

Bunnings have a big range of them.

That's what I thought too.

I hate LV downlights, even though I have plenty in my own house.

If your downlights are over heating and giving problems, get up into the roofspace and make sure the back of the lightfitting and transformer are WELL CLEAR of any insulation.

Also, iv'e noticed on some jobs that replacing the LV globes, from 50W down to a 35W lessens the overheating tranny problem.

Changing fittings and changing shades are two different things.
I see no mention of shades.

I see you might be thinking I was talking about the wrong thing. I am talking shades with a cover that slips straight onto the batten holder. No electricity involved :D.

Ok - now we are on the same wave-length.

In regards to the Downlight issue, I'd advice gizmopb1 to buy Australian made Clipsal or HPM Downlights. The made in China are cheap and if your looking at purchasing several - it would be tempting to buy the cheapies. In reality they will cost you plenty in the long haul. Quality made Clipsal and HPM units use copper windings on step-down transformers. Most of the others I've seen are Aluminium windings. If they are installed correctly and with the safety hats to protect from insulation fires, they will be fine on a downstairs lower level home.

Was thinking of changing to downlights/recessed lights for the ground floor of a two storey house but was told by a person who did my pre-purchase inspection that downlights there would be a potential fire hazard.

I seem to recall some reno'd houses have downlights on ground floor ceiling.

What are your experiences?

insurance?

Actually a lot of these type of fittings plug into the batten holder, incorporated with the shade.

So, no, not just a light shade.

The ones we most recently used have a fitting like the end of a light bulb which is inserted instead of the bulb. I suppose it is like a mini extension cord with another light bulb on the end. Instead of inserting a light bulb, you insert a fitting with a bulb on the end of the cord attached to the fitting.

If you are allowed to change a light bulb, this is no different. Then the cover slides up over the batten holder ugly bit and voila.... you have a nice polished chrome fitting with a nice light on the bottom for the same amount of effort as changing and fitting a light bulb.

I think this is fantastic, because with several IPs to look after we are changing to batten holders rather than have new lights put in. One visit from an electrician to install an ugly plastic batten holder and then any time a light is broken, or we want to freshen the look, it is simply a trip to Bunnings and no more having to pay a sparkie.

Ten years ago, the choice in this type of fitting was so ugly that we didn't do it. Now there are so many nicer fittings to chose from, it has become our method of choice.

Back