safety of downlights

We had downlights in one of our investment properties but they always seemed to blow the bulbs. I have no idea why. Someone said it was because they kept overheating.

I've had the same problem in an IP where I had downlights installed in a new house. They were a Bunnings product that has the screw out bulb. Last time I inspected the IP the tenants had replaced them with the spiral flouros - which looks ugly. Are these notorious for short lifespan?

Can anyone advise on a ballpark figure to get a licenced electrician to put covers over downlights? Approximately 10-12 downlights to cover in a 26sqm room. :eek:

Can anyone advise on a ballpark figure to get a licenced electrician to put covers over downlights? Approximately 10-12 downlights to cover in a 26sqm room. :eek:

dun get you ? covers? if the downslights have already been installed and you got an electrical certifcate. u can do it yourself.

yeah ask them for one. All electrical installations irrespective of house or unit or apartment requires one. It covers you in with insurance in the event of a fault which could result in fire etc

The electrical standard were revised a few years ago. Originally you could install halogen downlights and there was no requirement for a heatgaurd around the light.

New standards require a minimum of 200mm spacing to any combustionable material (including timber framing). Additionally if loose fill insulation is used a barrier must be installed.
Even incandescent recessed lights now require 50mm clearance above and to the side. Pluss 100mm to structural members.

I'll get into the roof and clear space for the insulation as a temporary measure, then its sparky time to either get covers installed or replace them with led downlights.

Any care to ball park the cost of covers installed vs a led downlight installed?

Tell you a little trick. Roll of metal flashing cut to 250w x200h mm squares. Couple pop rivets or screws. Small 10mm cut on the bottom with the edges folded back for the cable.

Cost a couple bucks per guard rather that the $20+
Additionally even with the new 6 star energy rating crap it keeps the guard top above the insulation. Lot of the supplied ones are too low so don't let the heat escape.

I have had a discussion in regards to led downlights with the local inspector. As far as he is concerned they are same as a incandescent light and must still have a guard.

Changing them, well I have never had a problem. But then I install plenty of them so know which way to twist.

Forgive me if I'm wrong. Arent the new ones are just a step up the ladder and unscrew from their bracket and pop a new light that comes with the bracket and thats it?

Maybe the new ones are like that. The ones in my apartment are so hard to remove - the front part of the light has become fused with the actual light itself. Such a pain

Maybe the new ones are like that. The ones in my apartment are so hard to remove - the front part of the light has become fused with the actual light itself. Such a pain

Get a small flat head screw diver place between outside of the cover and inside and twist screw driver. This should be enough to loosen the cover and be able to drop it down.

Don't be scarred to use a little force.

Back