Sagging ceiling

Can anyone recommend a company or someone that can repair sagging ceilings that wont overcharge? I have to prop and strap ceilings back to rafters according to a quote I received but do not want to pay a premium price as it will be demolished down the track. Purely for safety concerns for when the tenants lease the house out.

Is it a plastered ceiling?

Have the battens given way or the nails/screws in the sheets pulled through?

If the screws have given way, you will see little holes in the ceiling, if its the battens it should be still be relatively unblemished, but sagging.

I'm guessing its the battens.. caused from water damage and old age. Only guessing though..

Well, water damage is more likely to be plaster, as it absorbs water the plaster becomes soft and the screw/nails pull through.

The only reason i'm asking, is if you don't have to replace the sheets, and it's not the battens that have come off, it's a a simple case of rescrewing the sheets back up to the battens.

If the battens have come off your rafters, then you will need to rip the ceiling out, re fix your battens up, and replaster the ceiling.

I had a family friend who has fixed ceilings before who said he was unable to screw the ceiling back up again as there was too much damage. This would have been the cheaper alternative, to simply screw the ceiling back up again with a few nails.

I then called up a ceiling company who came to look at the house and told me they will need to strap the ceilings back to rafters and patch all major cracks ready to paint.

Anyway based on my poor limited knowledge on this subject it would be good to have a company/private person advise me on what the actual problem is and charge me an honest price.

I'm guessing its the battens.. caused from water damage and old age. Only guessing though..

If it's the battens/joists, then I'd say your options are quite limited. You can't re-attach the ceiling if the supporting members are giving way.

Can anyone recommend a company or someone that can repair sagging ceilings that wont overcharge? I have to prop and strap ceilings back to rafters according to a quote I received but do not want to pay a premium price as it will be demolished down the track. Purely for safety concerns for when the tenants lease the house out.

This isn't making a lot of sense to me. Are you talking about a raking ceiling or cathedral roof?

It's not clear what the cause of the sagging ceiling is. I think it'd be best if you invested a bit more in determining the exact cause of the sagging ceiling before you try anything to fix it.

Edit:
ie
1) Is it the ceiling sheets that are degrading?
2) Is the point of failure between the ceiling sheet and ceiling joist/batten?
3) Is it the ceiling joists or battens that are physically degrading?
4) Is the point of failure between your joists/battens and the hanging beam/truss bottom chords?

Without knowing exactly how the roof system is constructed, and the cause of the sagging ceiling, I wouldn't be in a hurry to shell out for temporary cosmetic fixes.

By the sounds of it the straps holding the roof to the battens have given way which leads to sagging roof.
Very common in perth.

A repair company will come and prop the ceiling up to original position and fibre glass it back in place and prep for paint. Quick and easy.

How much they quote?

Had one done in perth earlier in the year by first class ceilings and partitions.
Around $600incl

Cheers

The ceiling guy said because the house is quite old they used to use horse straps or something along those lines so the method of repair is different. He is going to strap ceilings back to rafters and patch major cracks in 2 rooms and the lounge/kitchen area for $1,000. Reasonable?

The ceiling guy said because the house is quite old they used to use horse straps or something along those lines so the method of repair is different. He is going to strap ceilings back to rafters and patch major cracks in 2 rooms and the lounge/kitchen area for $1,000. Reasonable?

sounds reasonable. my 600 was for the master bedroom only and was the cheapest quote. Did exactly as your describing.

cheers

they used to use horse hair in long lengths soaked in plaster which glued itself (as the plaster dried) onto the plaster on one side of the rafter then up over the rafter then locked onto the other side. I would reckon you could have a go at using big headed screws and screwing it into the rafters as a more modern quick fix

Back