Sand blasting on glass?

We're getting our new front door made to order (for PPOR), and would like to put a simple gum-leaf-and-branch motif on the sidelights. Searching the Yellow Pages for "sand blasting" came up with industrial cleaning solutions, which is not what we're after. Trying "etching" got a list of decorative glass places, which is possibly what we're after, but there are so many we're not sure where to start. If I could get my hands on a blasting cabinet I could do it myself (my high school had a colourful curriculum), but not sure how to go about finding that either. Anyone know a good place that'll do us a sandblasted pattern on our glass, or that would hire us a cabinet to do our own?

Amarantha said:
We're getting our new front door made to order (for PPOR), and would like to put a simple gum-leaf-and-branch motif on the sidelights. Searching the Yellow Pages for "sand blasting" came up with industrial cleaning solutions, which is not what we're after. Trying "etching" got a list of decorative glass places, which is possibly what we're after, but there are so many we're not sure where to start. If I could get my hands on a blasting cabinet I could do it myself (my high school had a colourful curriculum), but not sure how to go about finding that either. Anyone know a good place that'll do us a sandblasted pattern on our glass, or that would hire us a cabinet to do our own?

Look up Glaziers in your local phone book or if you're wanting to do it yourself ring up a (sounds strange but they use them)automotive electrician in your area and ask if you could come down & use their sand/glass blast machine - saves hiring one, taking it home setting it up and returning it.

Cheers

Amarantha said:

These people definitely sandblast

http://www.wathaurongglass.com.au/index2.htm

Hi,
Check out your friendly stone mason , particularly ones that do inscriptions
on headstones. Letters on Granite are often sandblasted and the same process is used on glass.If you are artistic you may be able to find out the correct tape to cover the glass and do your own design.This may help you save a dollar or two. The skill is in using the sandblaster to obtain a uniform shade of etch and not blow the tape off spoiling the integredy of your design.
Hope this helps
Hound Dog :)

Back