Saw John McEnroe play tennis last night

At the Homebush tennis centre. It was the first day of the ATP tour event in Sydney i.e. the oldies. I don't usually go to sporting stuff, but I heard about it on the radio and thought it would be great to see him play.
Beautiful spring night in Sydney, great seats - the place was only about 20% full. I took a mate along and we saw McEnroe vs Wayne Ferreira and Pat Cash vs Mats Willander. I'm guessing they're all about 30% off their peak, but put on a good show. And they didn't take things all that seriously. McEnroe and Cash coasted to a win. I'd say by Sunday when they get to the finals everyone will be a bit more serious.
Funniest bit of the night was when some bloke called out, 'John, my mum thinks you're hot.'

Scott

I was surprised at how few people were there, Lizzie. I'm betting yesterday's daytime session (where Rafter played) had even fewer people. The weekend sessions will be busier. I saw some tennis at the Olympics, but I've never seen any live tennis apart from that. It was a good thing to do. Between the matches there were some kids having a hit up for 10 minutes. They were about 10 years of age and they were amazing.

I watched the matches yesterday afternoon with Ivanisevic vs Enqvist and Rafter vs Laconte playing. There was a good crowd considering it was a working day... mostly retirees. I didn't like Laconte when he commentated for the Aussie Open this year (too loud!) but he provided most of the entertainment during the session. Enqvist and Rafter won their respective matches, btw.

I remember getting close range ringside corporate box seats at the Moorilla open in Hobart (a female only tennis event) when I worked in that lovely town. I have to say that watching some very fit young ladies in full flight from close range while downing some excellent cold beer and nibblies in the shade is an exceptionally pleasant way to spend an afternoon...

Highly recommended!

To think I even got paid for it too...

:cool:

Ohhhh, I have very fond memories of seeing Pat Cash and Mats Wilander playing at the Aussie Open in Kooyong many many years ago.
So many cute butts.. it was teenage girl heaven!

Back