Scaffolding

Hey guys,

I have to paint the outside of a second story. As such I need some scaffolding or a really tall ladder. Before I hit the hire places, I was wondering if some canberra formite had such a thing in their garage. If so, can I borrow it?

If not, it's off to Kennards.

Jas

I had trouble even at Kennards- I would have needed a trailer, and I don't even have a towbar- it wasn't really worth it for me.

MrsW is glad she did not see me painting in those high up places (complicated bcause I did not have direct ladder access to some places)

G'day Jas,

Go hire a couple of trestles, two planks, and (MOST important) a pair of plank clamps. No "construction of scaffolding" to be concerned about.... Just put them up, do the job, and get back down again.

But you did say "2nd storey" - I used similar on a highset Qlder and it worked fine. Would they reach to a second storey? Hell, I dunno - I guess you'd have to work that out with Kennards - but (for my money) beats the hell out of scaffolding.....

Regards,

Les said:
But you did say "2nd storey" - I used similar on a highset Qlder and it worked fine. Would they reach to a second storey? Hell, I dunno - I guess you'd have to work that out with Kennards - but (for my money) beats the hell out of scaffolding.....

Les, It's only nominally a 2nd floor. As we have a 3 level split level house you can consider it 2nd floor plus an extra half.

Our ladder is 12ft extended (call it 10ft leaning) and I can't reach the roof standing on the 2nd top step (not the top step either, but that'd be a stupid step to stand on just to prove a point).

I haven't seen any trestles tall enough for this, and we'd need a 15ft ladder just to get up onto the planks ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
I haven't seen any trestles tall enough for this
They exist. We hired two trestles and one massive plank (that were delivered and picked up by a long flatbed truck) when doing a 1 week backyard blitz on our house in brisbane. It's on a steep block so the floor of the back of the house is 6 metres to the ground. The trestles were just over 6 metres tall I think.

It was quite adrenalizing standing that high off the ground on a plank, holding a spinning circular sander/grinder overhead with both arms extended, and keeping your balance when the thing bucks/kicks as you hit a nail ;)

Geoff
We have access to a trailer, so that's no problem.

The trestle idea sounds interesting, I'll chat with hire people and find out.

mmerilin,I know what you mean - you should have seen me the other day, sitting of hte external windowsills, painting the eaves...

Jas

G'day Jas

Can't help with lending you any scaffold but I have used it in the past, both the mini scaff and the normal scaff. I had to paint walls and celing 5.5m from ground and replace some lights.

The mini scaff was heaps easier to assemble but if you need to get the floor of the scaff higher than 3m you need extra bits coming out the sides for stability which stuffs up the small neat easy.

The bigger normal scaff is heavy and took longer to put up, it was harder to move around even though it's got wheels, but you can build it higher and it makes the job heaps easier.

I've also got some leaky joins about 6m from the ground that I haven't fixed yet, just going to borrow a big ladder and fix them up.

So I'd get the normal sized scaffolding that will give you a base at about 4.5m high. Should be able to reach up the other 1.5m to get to 6m.

Tickets only apply when doing this for others.

cheers
quoll

Hi Jas

I'd suggest that you just hire a 4m mobile scaffold. I'm pretty sure at 4m platform height you don't need outriggers, was told that anyway. You should be able to reach over 6m from ground level with this.

If you have an Active hire down there I'd say it's a much better choice than Kennards. I get scaffold for $30/m in height/week. So a 4m would be $120/week. Kennards and Nat hire were about double that. Active are also good if you hire on Sat, you get the whole weekend for the price of 1 day.

Regards

Adrian

Hi Jas,

... Take good care of your body. It's the only place you have to live...

You don't need a ticket when working for yourself, but there is a good reason why there is need for some basic conditions to be met when working at heights.
The place I work for doesn't allow working at heights above 1.5m without scaffolds being build by a licensed rigger.
Please, do yourself a favour and hire a professional to do the job for you.

Regards
A95

A95,
good advise re licensed rigger, a few months ago complete my OHS course and all scaffolding over 4m in height (may vary in different states) had to be errected by a qualified rigger.

Regards
John

I was hiring some acrow props the other day, & noticed that you could hire scaffolding so long as it is under 4m in height. That should do the trick.

Thanks for the clarification guys... re heights

Jas - I think we have a ladder long enough for you - Ill be down that way in 54days (not that Im counting)

Hi Jas
The last time I had to work up high I ran my ute in under for stabilitly and placed the ladder on top of the tray. I felt pretty safe because I did not have as far to fall :)
Simon

A basic scaffold ticket is required to erect a scaffold in any state of Australia where a person or object could fall 4m.So if you are erecting a 500mm high scaffold on the edge of your first floor slab which is 4m above the ground,then you need a ticket. In Victoria at least,and I would expect in other states,it is irrelevant wether or not you are doing it for yourself or for someone else..the scaffold regs which are an Australian Standard still apply.You can erect a scaffold to three times the least base width before you need to tie it to the building,or increase the base width by a method such as outriggers.In Victoria there are new working at height egulations that came in to effect recently,and this means that standing on a plank 6metresin the air is outlawed.For one thing,trestles are a scaffold,and must be a minimum of two planks wide,and have a top and mid hand rail.Planks have a maximum span of around 2m,and this should be stamped on the side of plank. The regs also cover what you can and can't use a ladder for,and what the requirements are when using one.I would imagine tht other states would have similar regs.At the end of the day ,you may think it is only a five minute job,and "she'll be right",but it only takes seconds to fall,and it's good night Irene.

Tools

For painting a scissor lift or similar elevated work platform may be easier, otherwise mobile aluminium scaffold. I'm actually looking to buy a mobile tower at the moment if anyone wants to sell.

Cheers
Pulse

Back