scammed on ebay

i recently have been scammed on ebay by not receiving the item (payed by bank deposit). and they have been supposedly been trying to refund the money for a month now :rolleyes:
apart from ringing the bank what else can i do?
the bank said if they decline the reversal of funds theres not much they can do...?

i recently have been scammed on ebay by not receiving the item (payed by bank deposit). and they have been supposedly been trying to refund the money for a month now :rolleyes:
the bank said if they decline the reversal of funds theres not much they can do...?

Should have used Paypal. They have protection programs in place.

Recently got ripped off and got the money back after the seller refused to respond to my requests.

Not sure how you get your money back in this circumstance.

Yup PayPal is your only form of protection or collecting the item yourself.
Did they send the item via anything with tracking? If you have tracking number you might be able to find it but its been a month now so unlikely.
It is fairly typical of scammers to say they are complying with your requests and of course do nothing or just go silent.
Tell seller you are leaving negative feedback in 2 days unless money is in your account.
In future use PayPal ( as you can get refund and they must use traceable mail service) and remember to check feedback before buying.

You can pay with credit card. And if anything goes wrong with your purchase, you can lodge a claim with the credit card company.

This is my advice too. I lost about $300 I paid for a camera a few years ago. I used Paypal from my saving account. I think had I paid via a credit card I could have had it reversed. It was a valuable lesson for me.

How much money are we talking about?

I had some problems with a seller not responding when the goods did not turn up. I sent him an email saying I would leave negative feedback if he didn't contact me by phone by 5pm the next day. He called me and we sorted it out, he was just really unorganised and couldn't run his busy ebay business. This will only work if the seller sells a lot of items and is worried about their feedback score.

Other than this your efforts are best spend elsewhere, expensive lesson learnt.

If you didn't use Paypal your probably out of luck. My wifes brother did the same with a bank deposit into their account. Never heard from them again and the seller was in the US.

I've also had my eBay and PayPal hacked and the hacker started buying items at random very quickly. I called PayPal and they reversed it all. But was still a scarey moment when notifications appear on my iphome every 5 secs to advise me on what I had just purchased. I even logged into my eBay and was talking with the hacker as he was logged on at the same time with my account. He apoligised.

I've also brough a watch from Hong Kong for $60 and recieved a plastic bead worth nothing. I don't ebay anything unless its from the US or AUS with PayPal.

I'm just glad Paypal looked into it and got my money back from this hacker.

I always now remove my credit card details after every purchase to be on the safe side in PayPal. And yes all my passwords were different.

I have an account with minimal cash and a debit card attached. I only transfer in what I need to make a purchase- I have had my credit card used in another country. That time the bank notified me quickly and stopped the card.

But even PayPal doesn't protect you 100%. Earlier this year, I purchased a bed via ebay. The company I purchased it through went into liquidation. I thought, no worries I paid by PayPal so i'll be covered. Turns out that they only cover you if the item doesn't arrive within 30 days and you notify them. As the item had a delivery time of 6-8 weeks, of course I didn't log a complaint within the 30 days.

I ended up having to lodge a complaint with ebay and after several months they did end up refunding my money, but it took quite a bit of persuasion. The purchase was around $599 so it wasn't something I was going to give up on too quickly!

obviously if you don't get something within 3 weeks lodge a dispute.
otherwise it is too hard

i had a broken shower glass bought through ebay/paypal whereby the seller broke it during delivery. he wanted to argue but paypal gave me a full refund

i use paypal and pay paypal through my credit card, so it offers 3 levels of protection, credit card, credit card insurance and paypal.

BANK DEPOSITS - wouldn't even go there when buying online.

Even with Paypal things can go sour with an unscrupulous seller.

Workmate bought a $900 item, paid via paypal. Item never turned up. In the end the seller provided Paypal with a copy of a vague handwritten receipt allegedly from the post office and Paypal were satisfied with that and refused to compensate under their guidelines as they said the item had been sent.

Yes, I buy on Ebay, but only use the postal system for small amounts. I much prefer to buy locally and use cash on pickup. Not always possible I know.
Marg

it was for $290
already opened a dispute but they cant do much
seller notified me it wasnt sent
said they would refund and never have
already left bad feedback

anyone know how to change the default account for paypal to credit card?

Don't believe all the hype about paypal protecting you.

I bought an item from China, item was DOA. After much correspondence with seller to no avail I went through paypal.

Paypal advised they would only refund the cost of the item, not the postage and also that I would first have to return item to China at my own expense.

After putting it in the post and then emailing paypal copies of all postal documents and receipts paypal advised the documentation was not sufficient and that I should have sent it registered post.(which they never previously mentioned)

Paypal then refused to refund any money. So I'm out cost of item and postage from China and back.

Icing on the cake was that due to the whole process taking longer than 60 days I was no longer even able to leave negative feedback.

anyone know how to change the default account for paypal to credit card?
Cant change the default, but.....

When you are directed to the paypal site for payment of an ebay item, you are presented with the options of your already inputted payment options.
One of which you should have is a Credit card.

At this point select this as your payment source then click "continue" or "pay now".

simple.

You can choose the principle account that you use. I only know that because just last week I added a new card and chose my Amex as my primary card. I was offered the choice of which card to be my main card. I used to have my mastercard as my primary card and it always was the one I just clicked through without having to choose between cards.

Sign in
Click on Products and Services tab
Click on Manage tab
Click on Add a Debit or Credit Card
Click "make primary" on which card you want as your primary source of funds

i guess if i remove my bank account it will have to use my credit card
the credit card is already primary but im assuming that's for credit cards as my bank account is also primary

Back