School Reunions

Never been, my wife went and said people were asking after me. I'm not a big one for small talk, but my wife enjoyed it. She said only a few big-noters and ********s turned up, though it was only a 10 year

Wylie, if that was the reunion I went to, only about forty or fifty people showed up. I got an invite via my mother who was ex staff. I only knew about three of the people there and we sat at the back and had a good time, I think. As usual I couldn't wait to get out of there. I was still the skinniest person. But yeah, once everyone was finished being cordial, I returned to our nerdy little clich? and left about 9 pm.

It would have been about 1997 (20 years). I left in 1975 so would have done senior in 1977 had I stayed.

I think we discussed it when we met up that day. Wanna go to the next one together? :D

Last edited:
Hi All

Anyone been to one of these??? What has been your experience??

I went to a school reunion recently, thought it would be great experience, blast from the past, catch up and reminisce etc, however, it was quite the opposite, terrible experience.

Seems like everyone is only interested in what you look like and what you have achieved in life, your status.

Comparing notes on where you live? what you earn? what your partner does/earns.

Perhaps this is normal, people just curious, did anyone make good, this sort of stuff???? Anyway, not for me, wont be going to another.

MTR:)

Great post! I attend a school in Melbourne's West - let's just say it had a bad repuation and was an "avoid at all costs if you can afford it" type school for parents. I had no idea why my parents let me study in that school despite being able to generally afford to send me to a better school.

I graduated from year 12 in 1999, I'd say somewhere between 10-20% of the year 12 people went onto some sort of tertiary education and carved some career. I had out 10 year reunion about 2 years ago despite the fact that it was really our 12 year, it was cancelled last minute due to lack of interest and attendance. Of the 150-200 year 12 people, invites were sent to about 100 known contacts.

The guy and girl running it said in an email there was a total of 20 who accepted. In the end, funnily enough one guy decided to run a small group of about 10 - same group of people etc.

Was an interesting experience, it was a dinner and drinks night at a CBD place. Would I do it again? Nahhhhhh

I went to my 20th recently. Was too chicken to do 10years. Still hurting over being a big, fat nerd with some bad experiences in a small town. But decided to totally own being a big fat nerd for the 20th. Interesting to see was mostly those that had a good high school experience turn up - the cool gang mostly. But the divides were kinda over by now and had a good time. I hadn't even gone back to the small town in 20 years so interesting "closure" type thing - my stepfather died during my senior year so visited grave and shed a few tears while also unloaded a bit about him being an abusive donkeyhole.

Funniest story was that Commando Steve was in my grade and I didn't even know lol. He didn't show but the stories about him were funny. We had some success stories and some not overall.

I went to my 15 years year 10 a few years back. It was strange to say the least. I had changed a lot, more than I realised. And it was very good.

Great post! I attend a school in Melbourne's West - let's just say it had a bad repuation and was an "avoid at all costs if you can afford it" type school for parents. I had no idea why my parents let me study in that school despite being able to generally afford to send me to a better school.

I graduated from year 12 in 1999, I'd say somewhere between 10-20% of the year 12 people went onto some sort of tertiary education and carved some career. I had out 10 year reunion about 2 years ago despite the fact that it was really our 12 year, it was cancelled last minute due to lack of interest and attendance. Of the 150-200 year 12 people, invites were sent to about 100 known contacts.

The guy and girl running it said in an email there was a total of 20 who accepted. In the end, funnily enough one guy decided to run a small group of about 10 - same group of people etc.

Was an interesting experience, it was a dinner and drinks night at a CBD place. Would I do it again? Nahhhhhh

I went to a similar school in the western suburbs of Melbourne and share your views LOL. I believe there was a reunion at 5 years maybe which I didn't get an invite for as we had moved. By the time of the 10 year reunion, I was living interstate so wouldn't bother even if I was invited. I've seen some social media updates recently that have lead me to believe I made the right decision. Avoid, avoid :p

I didn't go to my 10 year as none of my friends were (We kept in contact)

I figure it would be just like high school - people trying to show off and bully other people.

The closest I had to a reunion was about 5 years out of school when I ran into the school bully at a pub, he decided to bully me once again, I replied we aren't at school anymore, and I won't put up with it anymore. He quickly changed his tune and then walked away.

That night I saw a lot of the kids that were popular or bullies. The spot was obviously still their local and you could just see they haven't changed. It was sad.

Last year I went to the 50 year reunion of my Year 8 class. I had such a great time, it was wonderful to catch up with so many I had not seen in those 50 years.

Such fun.
Marg

Don't need school reunions

Just use facebook to see who got fat.

hahaha - yes - so true. I am still in contact with those I want to be 30 years later - think one of my close friends, who went right off the rails, is probably deceased (but no one knows) - as for the rest - meh

I've used Facebook and LinkedIn to find some friends from many years ago.

However my generation are either not that much into FB, or are highly suspicious of it, or are dead. There's a lot I cannot find.

My 20 year reunion is on this Saturday but I don't want to pay the $50 for minimal food, 2 drinks and venue hire! So I'm giving it a miss... I'd go if the price was reasonable....

My 20 year reunion is on this Saturday but I don't want to pay the $50 for minimal food, 2 drinks and venue hire! So I'm giving it a miss... I'd go if the price was reasonable....

That's a bit of an odd way to look at a one off event, you're talking $50 here not $500

I would like to go to one, but I don't think there have been any - it wasn't a great school. Or maybe there have been some and I wasn't invited? I can imagine everybody slipping into their old roles.

Back