Seaford Beachside = Very Relaxing, but..

Fifth, I haven't checked but I'd think that it has underperformed over the past decade. Historically, prices were all over the joint. This is largely due to business owners building insanely big mansions when the business cycle was good - and then having to sell in a recession. I would not have bought here as an investment during this time, preferring Frankston.

There is a lot on the market right now so a good time to pick up something, as long as the vendors' expectations are reasonable. I do think that CG will be good going forward, especially in the medium term. Peninsula Link will be good for the whole peninsula and I believe that retirees, when they do want to sell the inner city spread, still prefer not to be too far from family etc. The mornington peninsula fits the bill nicely. Good infrastructure, shopping, not too far from the CBD if you need to go there (i actually do quite often). As the whole peninsula will benefit I actually think Mt Eliza may potentially benefit more. It is known as the 'best' suburb along with Portsea, but is 50km closer to town. My pool guy tells me there are a lot of younger families moving here for the lifestyle and of course what their $ buys them compared to inner city. Also popular if one or more of them works from home. Everyone here hopes that Mt Eliza village doesn't really get any bigger. It's a great village atmosphere & everything else you need is 5 mins away in Frangers or 10 mins away in Mornington.

Best areas are right close to the beach or have a good sea view or in the Woodlands Estate just across Nepean Highway. There it is like being in the country; you will find large houses, usually with pools & maybe tennis courts, on 2/3 acre blocks. As it's under covenant & can't be developed the area is highly sought after.

I think Mt Eliza would be a nice place to live if you worked from home, worked in the suburbs or were at retirement age. I think people working from home is becoming much more popular now. I would love to live there if I wasn't working in the city (which I think I will be after I grad).

Mt Eliza is really the closest thing to a North Brighton type area that is still anywhere within range (not my range but maybe one day).

I agree it might not have strong rental demand currently but if you got a large block would there would be strong capital growth as people become more willing to move further out from Melb?

Oh and for people who were wondering about schools in Seaford I don't think there are many good primary schools but many teens from that area go to Mentone for secondary school (although they're mostly private) Mentone Grammar, St Bedes, Kilbreda, Mentone Girls (I'm not sure if Seaford is within range for Mentone Girls?)

Fifth, I haven't checked but I'd think that it has underperformed over the past decade. Historically, prices were all over the joint. This is largely due to business owners building insanely big mansions when the business cycle was good - and then having to sell in a recession. I would not have bought here as an investment during this time, preferring Frankston.

There is a lot on the market right now so a good time to pick up something, as long as the vendors' expectations are reasonable. I do think that CG will be good going forward, especially in the medium term. Peninsula Link will be good for the whole peninsula and I believe that retirees, when they do want to sell the inner city spread, still prefer not to be too far from family etc. The mornington peninsula fits the bill nicely. Good infrastructure, shopping, not too far from the CBD if you need to go there (i actually do quite often). As the whole peninsula will benefit I actually think Mt Eliza may potentially benefit more. It is known as the 'best' suburb along with Portsea, but is 50km closer to town. My pool guy tells me there are a lot of younger families moving here for the lifestyle and of course what their $ buys them compared to inner city. Also popular if one or more of them works from home. Everyone here hopes that Mt Eliza village doesn't really get any bigger. It's a great village atmosphere & everything else you need is 5 mins away in Frangers or 10 mins away in Mornington.

Best areas are right close to the beach or have a good sea view or in the Woodlands Estate just across Nepean Highway. There it is like being in the country; you will find large houses, usually with pools & maybe tennis courts, on 2/3 acre blocks. As it's under covenant & can't be developed the area is highly sought after.

Thanks for the ample reply, Jade. It's always good to get a local's perspective. It will be interesting to see what happens there.

Hmmm..... might have to go to inspect this one then :D

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-mount+eliza-107081564

The Y-man

I find it amusing that they mention the built-in hairdryer. $6,000,000 and a hairdryer is a selling point.

Why do some people keep talking about Seaford being at risk of flood? Other areas of eastern Melbourne have flooded regularly since the late 1800s, Seaford hasn't once...

Mmmm Frankston South and Mt Eliza - work from home or a professional footballer? Then yes please!!

What do people think of Mt Eliza and the Peninsula? If I were to move so far from the city I don't think I'd mind going out that little bit further. It's a little more expensive but I think it has a much nicer atmosphere and you can find really big blocks and stunning views that you wouldn't get elsewhere.
Yes Mt Eliza seems undervalued doesnt it. Friends of ours sold a small house in Highett and purchased 2/3 of an acre, pool and 5 br for 100k more!
If you work close by or from home this seems like a great place to live.

Yes Mt Eliza seems undervalued doesnt it. Friends of ours sold a small house in Highett and purchased 2/3 of an acre, pool and 5 br for 100k more!
If you work close by or from home this seems like a great place to live.
A lot of this going on. We moved to the area 8 years ago from the inner east. I still wort in the outer eastern suburbs and it takes me 35 mins on Eastlink.

Regarding schooling....we live in Seaford (North). We are St Kilda refugees ;) and have lived in the area for about 3 years.

Our eldest will be starting prep next year and we have heard good reports about Carrum Primary School. Patterson Lakes Primary School is so popular it is now zoned. Seaford North Primary has recently had a new principal appointed (from Brighton Primary School). This may prove a positive for the school.

In our consideration set for the move from St Kilda to Seaford (choosing between here and West Footscray) - size of garden, newer house, access to beach, access to private schools for highschooling (Haileybury, St Leonards, The Peninsula School etc etc), close to in-laws (who live in Mt Martha), also the wait for childcare/pre-schools wasn't nearly as ridiculous as inner city areas.

Seaford is a mixed bag but it has a lot going for it....I'd describe it as a 'slow burn'. There is still a bogan/welfare element but there are also a lot of people who have moved here from inner Bayside suburbs because they want a nice lifestyle but don't necessarily want to pay crazy prices for a house/flat....there are a large number of young families with chooks and vegie patches! (I would call it the Northcote-by-the-Sea element). People who are willing to make the move and are willing to tolerate the bogan/welfare element are perhaps a bit more open minded than others (and less concerned about suburb stigma...)

As for flooding...I think you've seen the following suburbs affected by flooding in recent weeks: Camberwell and Elwood. Has it affected property prices there? Melbourne Water actually just upgraded all the storm water drainage around this area (big drilling was happening at Monash Uni Peninsula Campus and new pipes were laid near Carrum/Seaford).

Also - Carrum Bowls Club is about to be redeveloped (as is the adjoining Keast Park) into something similar to the Seaford Lifesaving Club (Robert Simeoni designed - architectural award winner).

There is still a bogan/welfare element but there are also a lot of people who have moved here from inner Bayside suburbs because they want a nice lifestyle but don't necessarily want to pay crazy prices for a house/flat....

Most of them couldn't pay those 'crazy' prices even if they wanted to.

People who are willing to make the move and are willing to tolerate the bogan/welfare element are perhaps a bit more open minded than others (and less concerned about suburb stigma...)

Like many new residents, you moved to Seaford because you were priced out of every other beachside suburb. This has nothing to do with open-mindedness, more of a case of 'beggars can't be choosers'.

As for flooding...I think you've seen the following suburbs affected by flooding in recent weeks: Camberwell and Elwood. Has it affected property prices there?

Comparing Seaford to Elwood and Camberwell is just silliness. Elwood and Camberwell are highly sought-after suburbs - it will take more than a mere flood to deter buyers. Generally, once a suburb reaches a certain level of desirability, nothing much can deter buyers.

Melbourne Water actually just upgraded all the storm water drainage around this area (big drilling was happening at Monash Uni Peninsula Campus and new pipes were laid near Carrum/Seaford).

Despite Seaford not having a history of flooding (in recent times, at least) people often refer to the risk. I think it's simply that Seaford 'feels' like it should be flood-prone (seaside, creek, wetlands). Most home buyers don't bother researching storm water drainage and whatnot. When enough people parrot the risk, it might as well be true. That said, I doubt the fear deters buyers or curbs prices in any significant way.

Properties in Seaford do sell very fast. Anything beachside of the Nepean highway sells within a few days up to 2 weeks if priced correctly.

Not everyone works in the CBD - but if they did, train is 50 mins.
Drive via east link in non peak 40min - 45mins

The welfare aspect of the suburb has and will continue to change, already property managers and sales agents comment on the number of city dwellers who are buying in Seaford and surrounding suburbs. If you knwo the area well, you know which pockets attract what type of tenant/buyer.

Anyone who purchased in the area just over 12 months ago will have enjoyed a $100K increase in equity, and will continue to enjoy more growth as each suburb closer to the city adds another $100k to the purchase price, more people are pushed down here for more affordable options.

Carrum - very small suburb but most streets are excellent. Houses $550K plus
units in Carrum are cheaper than units in Seaford which is odd, rental is also better in Seaford which surprised me and I havent figured out why yet.

Mulgrave is an excellent suburb for proximity and price. I dont think you can ompare based purely on "personal preferences". tho - afterall, its just personal preference we are speaking about here.

Wow Fifth - nice smackdown;)

I think if you're interested in Seaford perhaps check it out when there's a Farmers Market on at the Village.

There's a few markers I look for in terms of suburb gentrification (only half joking and perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part): ;)

Woodfired ****a joint - check
Farmer's Market - check
Triple R stickers on Subaru station wagons - check
Kite surfers on beach - check
Children's ballet lessons at the local surf club - check
Ditto yoga classes
Parents who care about the standard of the local schools - check

Take it easy :)

Wow Fifth - nice smackdown;)

I think if you're interested in Seaford perhaps check it out when there's a Farmers Market on at the Village.

There's a few markers I look for in terms of suburb gentrification (only half joking and perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part): ;)

Woodfired ****a joint - check
Farmer's Market - check
Triple R stickers on Subaru station wagons - check
Kite surfers on beach - check
Children's ballet lessons at the local surf club - check
Ditto yoga classes
Parents who care about the standard of the local schools - check

Take it easy :)

Oy vey!

You joined this forum solely to ramp your suburb so I'm not even going to bother addressing that woeful gentrification checklist (honestly, kite surfing and ballet lessons??).

If you believe Seaford is undervalued, I suggest you buy as many IPs as you can leverage.

Oy vey!

You joined this forum solely to ramp your suburb so I'm not even going to bother addressing that woeful gentrification checklist (honestly, kite surfing and ballet lessons??).

If you believe Seaford is undervalued, I suggest you buy as many IPs as you can leverage.

Fifth! Why are you so negative? Perhaps you are stuck in an inner city smog hole suburb living in a unit and don't get enough exercise. Or have bought in Brighton and are mortgaged to the hilt. Maybe you should add some fun and relaxation to your life...take up 'kite surfing', 'cycling' or 'ballet', chill out and enjoy life my man.

Back