• Yes, I have a second job

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • No I don't

Votes: 50 63.3%
  • No, but I am thinking about it.

Votes: 12 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voted for the 3rd option. I'm on a below average income for now that will naturally increase over time but if i want to get more property sooner rather than later I'll need a 2nd job.

Voted for the third option too, because I used to have a 2nd job (tutoring high school students), but finished tutoring a bunch of Year 12's last year so am currently out of a tutoring job. It was great money at the time, but it's also fabulous to have my weekends back... hmmm...

I have a full time job during the week, and have a second job doing a few hours on the weekend in real estate. Brings in a few extra dollars, plus I enjoy it.

Interesting topic to delve into how willing people are to sacrifice their spare time for future financial advancement.

I don't have a second job as I'm on a comfortable wage which is many times what I could earn elsewhere. My partner's however is abysmal and mentioned jokingly that she should pick up a second job. If only there was infinite overtime eh? :p

What wages are people at to consider a second job on this forum?

I have read a few posts about people having second jobs, I'm curious how many people have after hours work or weekend work.

It can even be "during hours" work ;)

I take annual leave from my "normal work" to work at my second job, if it makes sense. i.e. the second job has a much higher hourly rate than my "normal work", but there are relatively few hours available. I make the decision to take up the hours (or not) based on accounting for travel time etc.

It usually means I will do the second job if hours are available first thing in the morning or last thing in the afternoon (and spend the rest of day at my normal work).

Cheers,

The Y-man

I voted no.

I dont actually have a first job either as such. However, in the early days I use to work 60hr weeks minimum and one stage 2 x full time jobs.

It depends how aggressive or passive you want to be. I wanted to be aggressive and ot worked, but not everyone is committed as it takes a great level of mental toughness to do so.

I just focused on the cashflow, and not the career.

I do web development and web hosting on a casual basis. I have been doing this for about 10 years with a very small client base. Even though it doesn’t produce great income, I can offset most of my IT related costs which I would be spending anyway!
Also, knowing I have a fall back, gives me a bit more confidence at my ‘day time’ job :)

I suppose i have a second job - being in the army reserve. The main purpose of it is not income driven though.
Army Reserve - thats something I've would like to do in the future! How do you find it?

I work a 2nd job driving machinery on the Railway. Just doing my bobcat + excavator tickets this week and will then be probably doing even more weekend work!

Hopefully one day in a few years I won't have to think about working a second job :)

I voted I had a second job because I now view my employed work as the secondary job.(15 days to go !!!)
Property makes more money, so it is my first job.

I don't have second job but, now I am thinking to earn more money by changing job or finding a second job. The Reason - We put an offer for 5th property and 2 banks declined loan, actually they were happy to lend but L M Insurar said NO. Combine income is $140K and rent income $59K. LMI say our most of the income is rent based. And part I can not understand.
So now look for 2nd job or find a job that pays 25K more.

Very interesting percentages here. From a few of the responses I would be safe to say that the army reserve/ or paid footy I dont claissify as a secod job per se. The real percentage would be about 75% no and 25% yes/thinking about it.

From this small sample it can be concluded that the ones that have or are thinking of getting a second job on top of ther main job do it so they can leverage up further properties, so in the future they can retire earlier??

Im not passing judgement on anyone on this, I just find the mindset on this forum different to average aussie joe.

15 years ago, when my job was more like a job, and less like a career, and I had no wife or young family, I could have much more easily taken a second job.

So while I could potentially work more hours (2nd job) which may help me earn more now, what other cost would that entail? Less time with my family, which to me, equates to (much) lower standard of living.

Interesting to know how many are in the same boat.

I have one full time job and my second job I work as much as I want or as little as I want. Of course at the moment I am just working on my place. When that finishes I have plenty of jobs in the pipeline and people always asking for me to do thier work :D.

But I look at the relaxation time with family as part of the above and working at not losing focus in that area.

Work in progress :)

Brian

From this small sample it can be concluded that the ones that have or are thinking of getting a second job on top of ther main job do it so they can leverage up further properties, so in the future they can retire earlier??

Initially it was because we got into hot water with our first IP - signed contract, stolen deposit, possiblity of not being able to get the required loan amount etc.

These days, because

1. we want to retire earlier

2. the second job might be the one we do after "retiring" because it's interesting

The Y-man

Army Reserve - thats something I've would like to do in the future! How do you find it?

Andrew,

I find it very enjoyable, different from a regular office type job that's for sure, can get frustrating at times but overall worth checking out if you're interested.

Im looking aswell.

Has to be cash in the handthough. I already earn far too much from the mines. Instead of relaxing on my days off id rather get more moolah for kitty. Anyone know any cash in the hand type jobs....that are ok?

You guys could approach some orchids. They usually pay cash. Depending how fast and hard you work, you could earn some decent money.

Back