What Hours do you Work?

I'm a farmer so my hours are all over the place, but I'm keen to know what hours other people work.

Sheep shearers used to work from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm divided into 4 2 hour runs. They have a 1 hour unpaid lunch and 2 30 unpaid minute tea breaks. It's hard yakka so that's why they need long breaks. With the 38 hour week requirements they either finish at 5pm Mon - Fri or finish at 3pm on Friday and 5:30 other days.

I hear that a lot of Office workers work 9 - 5, what breaks do you guys get and what is the total hours per week.

What about tradies, I know a lot of you guys start at 7 am and finish at 3pm. What breaks do you get?

Anyone on a salary where you are expected to work more than 40 hours a week? Are the hours specified or do you just work long hours to meet the companies expectations?

from my experience people who work long hours in the office (IT) are usually early birds.

i know a lot of people who start early, just because that's how they live, with the intention of leaving early

however that rarely happens because they get held up by those who start late, or by problems that "must be resolved right now".

i used to start at 8 once upon a time, but eventually figured out that no matter how early I start, i won't leave before 5pm anyway. so gradually that shifted to 9-9.30 start, and finish anywhere between 5-6.

also in corporate IT there is a shift now towards working from home, and as a result - you are judged on what you achieve as opposed to how many hours you spend sitting in front of your desk.

I work for a crisis line.

I work 9 days a fortnight. My weekday shifts are usually 10am - 6pm and my weekend shifts are usually 2pm - 10pm. I get a 1 hour break which is paid. I work every sunday and get every 2nd saturday off. On my days off during the week I usually spend about 8 hours doing renovations. I guess that means I work between 35- 51 hrs per week depending on whether or not I'm busy doing reno's in my spare time.

I usually work 8 to 4.30 (in IT). However, in certain situations, have to stay back or work on weekends. There were few instances where I had to work 14 hrs straight.

Im usually in the office sometime around 10, leave before 5 except when I see people after hours. I probably do 2 after hours appointments a week.

I do a fair bit of work on the phone from home after hours and during the weekend.
About half my income is commission based, so the boss doesnt care when I work, just how many sales I make/loans I settle.

I work full time 3, 12.45hr days per week, except for one week in four where i work 4 days (but I only ever do one 3 day stint pm - the rest are 2 straight for 2 or 3 off).

I have 15 days off every 28, but work over 7 days.

In my case all meal breaks are paid for as i need to be available at all times.

Hello,

The standard working full time hrs in Sydney is 38 hrs per week or should I say in NSW. Some people work 40 hrs per week but are entitled to a day off in that month to make up for the extra 2 hrs they work each week. Keep in mind that these above figures do not include lunch. Lunch is not paid, so I start at 08:30 and knock off at 17:00. I take an 1 hr for lunch and get paid for 38 hrs a week. Technically, it's suppose to be 7.6 hrs a day which equals to 38 hrs.

Depending on the organisation, your letter of employment should also state whether you get paid overtime or not, time of in leave, etc. It's becoming common now to see the words stating that you must work 38 hrs or additional hrs to meet the job requirements/get the job done sort of thing. Working an extra hour or two here and there a week is seen fine by most but if I?m working an extra hr each day on min salary, I would def hope to get compensated whether I was on fixed salary or not. If I was on say 120+ a year, I would not be whinging about the extra hr a day. It's up to you to take it up with your manager and come to an agreement. A gentlemen?s agreement or even take it to HR if your being treated unfairly. Unfairly if your working till 10pm and expected to be back at 7am the next morning.

My friend works for the one of the big retail firms and she is in the back office and works 40 plus hrs a week on minimum salary (40K mark). I always have a go at her because it seems that the floor staff who get paid by hr get a better wage than you. I said, do you see the floor staff working back an extra hr? They don't unless they get paid for it despite whether on salary or not. My point is this, she is not on med to high wages which def does not warrant her to be working these extra hrs. Unfortunately she is not brave enough to take it up with her boss. Her boss should really be looking after her but he isn?t so her bad luck and I really don't know why she is still there.

The term salary in my view is just a working contract like any others but specifies a fixed salary per year; however, fixed salary contracts doesn?t mean your boss can?t say take tomorrow off for working so many extra hrs last week or fill in an on call claim sheet for being on-call or coming into the office for 4 hrs last night.

If you?re on 200K a year, no one in that position whinges about working extra hrs. That?s why you?re on that amount.

Cash in hand, then there are no rules.

I work from 7:50am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday at my 'day' job with an hour unpaid lunch break. Then 5:00pm to anywhere up to 12:00am Friday nights, Saturday nights (4-2:30am) and every second Sunday 9:00am- 4:00pm. You could say I'm a sucker for punishment :rolleyes:

Yeah, define "work"

For the question at hand, work is when your boss thinks you are working. If you are surfing somersoft during lunch then that's not counted as work. If you are doing it when you are supposed to be working then for this question I am counting that as work.

I work (Landscape construction) the least amount of hours possible to get the job done...properly of course ;)

When it's done Im outta there.

However, when I get home the "other" work starts.
Managing investments etc, with a little paid for photography thrown in around the edges.

GG I'll give you a few diff examples.

At the moment, with the opening of our new law office:
I am in the office by 8am, but often answering emails before 6am. I leave 2 days a week at 5pm to do kids sport. Tend to finish between 10pm and midnight 2 other days a week. Fridays I normally have functions from lunch on.
I normally do 1-2 breakfasts a week before the 8am. Do lunch meetings 3 days a week or so.
Have been working weekends lately but from the home office.

Normally I would do 8:30-6 3 days and then do a couple of hours at night at home, 5pm finish on the other days.

I love what I do and my practice is expanding so I work harder now then ever, but do so because I want to.

Solicitors who work for me in the office tend to work 8:30am to 6ish M-T and knock off earlier on a Friday for drinks (ie 5pm) but late settlements or conditions can blow that out of the water. Also most do some work on Sunday night late to prepare for the week and is not unusual to see people working online on our system on week nights.

We have several solicitors who work remotely (Mums with kids) work at all weird and wonderful times. They tend to do client calls during school time or arrange for evening calls via email during business hours.

Admin staff are on awards. 8:30am - 5pm, 1 hour lunch break, 2 x 10min rest breaks.

My town planners work all sorts of hours.

I do a 9 day fortnight so that means 9hr days to get the 10th day as a RDO.

A few hours extra here and there is expected as part of our package but significantly more we can claim Time of in Lieu (TOIL).

I tend to work 7:30-5:30 (yes that's 10hrs not 9)

For the question at hand, work is when your boss thinks you are working. If you are surfing somersoft during lunch then that's not counted as work. If you are doing it when you are supposed to be working then for this question I am counting that as work.

What if you work for yourself?

I normally work 9-5ish Mon - Fri however not this week :(

So far this week I've worked Sat and Sun, then 7am - 6pm, 7am - 6.30pm, 7am - 8pm, 8.30 - 6pm...and will be working the next few weekends too.

Crazy busy at the moment.

Back