Security key to a strata block

G'day,

So I've been told that locksmith's cannot/will not duplicate security keys.

What is the normal process of obtaining a copy of the security key if an extra one is needed for property manager and tenants?

I was told to contact strata, which could cost around $60 for a key to be cut. But the security key just looks like any other key. How come strata needs to get it done specifically? Won't strata just goto a local lock smith and ask for one to be cut, and then charge $60 for a $3 cut ?

I'm guessing the extra cost might be to cover the fact that there may be paperwork involved (and two people's time in attending to sign it?) so that all keyholders are known, documented and controlled.

G'day,

So I've been told that locksmith's cannot/will not duplicate security keys.

What is the normal process of obtaining a copy of the security key if an extra one is needed for property manager and tenants?

I was told to contact strata, which could cost around $60 for a key to be cut. But the security key just looks like any other key. How come strata needs to get it done specifically? Won't strata just goto a local lock smith and ask for one to be cut, and then charge $60 for a $3 cut ?

It is to prevent every Tom, Dick and Harry to get the keys cut by their local locksmith. The security keys are 'do not copy' keys which a locksmith will not cut for you till they have an authorised signatory.

It is to prevent every Tom, Dick and Harry to get the keys cut by their local locksmith. The security keys are 'do not copy' keys which a locksmith will not cut for you till they have an authorised signatory.

Would it be possible to get a signed authority email/letter from our Strata manager.
Pass it over to the Property Manager, and then get them to get it cut by a local locksmith with the authority form?

I would doubt it.

They would need to find a way to ensure you didnt copy more than one key and the key would have the words "do not duplicate" on it.

Probably best just to pay the fee and claim it back on tax.

You can't just stroll down to the local locksmith to have a restricted key cut. It can only be done by the holder of the system and only with the required authorised signatures.

Tools

You can't just stroll down to the local locksmith to have a restricted key cut. It can only be done by the holder of the system and only with the required authorised signatures.

Tools

Agreed.

I'm sure that a locksmith is 'capable' of cutting one, but I have never been able to have it done before.

The restricted systems that we look after are done by a locksmith that has the account and authorisation, and will not release a key without permission.

Generally under a "security" system the blanks are unique, and can only be acquired by the locksmith that has aquired the rights to that system, which will only fit with one cylinder style.. That's why they are more expensive then usual. Yes, every key hasto be authoruised by th eowner of the system in this case the body corp, and then accounted for. A reasonable ammount of extra effort, so more expensive. I would be surprised if the key is not specially marked in some way to confirm it is part of a secure system, but I am continually being surprised.

Back