Selling a Campervan

Just looking for some information or advise...

My parents are selling their campervan, it's become too much for them to drive as my dad is unwell.

I tried listing it on cars.com, but ended up in the middle of an international forged cheque scam debacle, so am very wary of that now...

My mum's friend told them about a 'backpacker' site, but I can't seem to find one that lists vans.

There are a few places that buy vans to rent out, but they seem to either have brand new ones (this is 10yo) or really cheap crappy ones (which this is NOT).

If anyone has any ideas I'd be VERY pleased to hear them.

Thanks heaps.

asy :D

Hi Asy,

We sold our van, advertised in the Trading Post. Not sure if you have one up north. Only took a few days to sell.

Mrs Bird :)

Hi Asy,

Sorry to hear about your Dad's health. Hope things improve for him.

Could you list the details of the campervan here? There may be someone who is interested. My hubby and I have been fantasising about using his long service leave for a trip around Aust so I, for one, would read the details with interest. Just a thought.

Lily

Asy,

Probably not of much use to you, but a bloke I met recently told me he was taking his caravan down to a Large C/van dealer on the north side of Brisbane.
I think it was on the H/way around the Burpengary area.
Apparently they sell them on consignment.
He'd sold this way before.

btw that false bank cheque thingy must be coming more common.
A retired couple recently met with a "very pleasant gentleman" at the Matilda Kybong servo, just south of Gympie. They handed over their expensive motorhome, and he a Bank cheque. Forget the whole story but Bank cheque was false I think and they haven't seen motorhome since.
I think there is a couple of them about, preying on the elderly retirees and their motorhomes.

A86

agent 86 said:
Asy,

Probably not of much use to you, but a bloke I met recently told me he was taking his caravan down to a Large C/van dealer on the north side of Brisbane.
I think it was on the H/way around the Burpengary area.
Apparently they sell them on consignment.
He'd sold this way before.

I might just clarify something, I'm sure asy wont mind..........but her parents and the campervan are in Melbourne. :)

Ruby

Thanks Ruby.

Should be the same consignment places down there too.

The time of year to hurry and sell too with the "Annual Northern Grey Nomad Migration" about to start.

Will be costing a bit more this year though. Some may not venture as far.

a86

Wow, didn't think there'd be so much interest here! Thanks guys...

Yup, Ruby is right (as usual...) The van is in Melb.

It's about a 94 Hiace, it's manual, and is in impeccable condition both mechanically and physically.

They bought it about 6 years ago, and only drove it to Surfers once a year. Then when they get home, mum cleans it spotless, and then it gets serviced. Then Dad runs it every few weeks in the yard to keep the engine lubricated, aparrently.

It's Manual, has a sink, little fridge, A/C, a telly port (and aerial, goodness forbid that dad should miss the footy!!!), and a microwave. It's got bike racks (I think they go with it) and holder thingies on the back for water containers. There's a side awning, and a rear annexe where my kids sleep when they go stay with my parents in the van park.

There are rear seat belts, but they have been removed. Dad has them, and I believe it's only a matter of reboting them in.

They are asking 16k for it.

If anyone's interested, please PM me.

The van is in Melbourne.

Lily, thanks for your concern, but no, he's not gonna get better. It's mostly age related... And he's had a few strokes, etc...

Mum said she'd be happy to include all their bits and pieces, like cooking stuff etc, it's pretty well kitted out. Mum's remade all the drapes and covers not long ago.

Thanks Asy,

a couple more questions for you.

I take it there is no bathroom facilities?

Could you explain the bedding - is there a double bed in it - or is it one of those ones where you fold down the table/chairs at night to make the bed up?

What part of Melbourne are your parents located in? (I know you won't want to give out exact details here but just a general idea of area/suburb to see if its easy to travel to for a look).

Do you paents have access to a digital camera - any chance of posting a photo here?

Thanks
Lily

Hiya Lily,

Nope, no bathroom sorry.

Yes, you do fold the table down to make a bed. But when they travel they usually just leave it as a bed and put a camp table under the awning.

They are in Sunshine, about 15 mins west of MEL.

He has a photo, he has a scanner, he has the internet, but he has a very frustrated daughter coz he can't figure out how to get them all together :(

Just a small idea...

How about printing up a whole lot of flyers with a few good pics and some information about the van, and then approaching the backpackers hostels in Melbourne and Geelong to see if you get any interest that way? Some of them have notice boards and are happy to take advertisements. A group of backpackers may be happy to split the cost of the van and then re-sell at the end of their travels. I have heard of a similar thing happening with 4WDs - widely publicised overseas apparently.

By the way, I said "print" instead of email because some places may not want to or be able to print it in colour for you. Better if you can have it dropped in to them or post it after arranging this by phone first.

No idea if this would work or not but thought I'd share anyway... :)

Good luck in selling it and my thoughts are with your Dad. Hope you are all OK.

Ali G

Thanks Heaps Ali!

I have put it onto a backpacker website, but the flyers is a good idea!

I'll talk to mum and see if she's prepared to drive them around. (I am in Brissie!)

Thanks

Asy,

If she's going to drive them around she should use the camper van and keep a for sale sign & phone number on display :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

It's a good idea...

Only mum can't drive it as she has a bad back, and dad can't drive it as it's just too much for him... So it sits in their yard till a buyer comes to it.

Hi Asy,

Is there someone in Melbourne that they trust who can help them ? A neighbour or such?

I would be a little careful of allowing someone to take it for a test run, they may not bring it back, and it could then be a civil matter and not theft as they gave permission.

Also, frail elderly folk are preyed on regularly, some of the stories tried on my Mother.....gee !! She is forbidden to deal with strangers of any sort for anything, for her own protection, you just don't think as quick when you are 84.

By spreading it around hostels you could get ANYBODY calling on them, threatening, harassing etc..... I would definitely find someone, preferably male, who could assist them.

Thanks HEaps Macca,

Your advice is much appreciated.

My mum's not frail, she just can't drive a manual because of her back. She thinks quicker than I do some days :( :)

They do have friends who could be called upon if required. This is pretty much the only thing I hate about living in BNE.. It's so far from my mummy.. :D

It is a good idea, though, I'll put it to her. Thanks again.

Out of interest what site is it on Asy?

No campervan plans just interested in what sites are available for that sort of thing

Sorry about the delayed response,

It's listed on a couple of backpacker sites, where people sell vans to backpackers.

I have tried the mainstream sites. All I got was spam.

Back